Spiderman

One day, I had experienced the last exasperating "Senioritis" whining from my high school students who were graduating in less than a week. I went home and discovered that someone had left a Spiderman action figure on my front porch. I grabbed my Nikon and started posing good Ol' Spidey and shooting. By the time I was done, I had totally shot my irritation away. I was left with some fun shots that my friends on Facebook were totally duped by (although I don't know how.) I hope to post some of them. I also love photographing lightning. Its almost an obsession. If lightning appears on the horizon, I totally forget what I am saying and I phase out. Anyone else have the same obsession?

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

Hi and welcome to the Nikonites Community. You will find a lot of friendly people here that like to talk photography and about their Nikons. If you would please also list your lenses in your profile. It makes it easer for us to understand how you are getting your shots and answer your questions. A lightning aficionado that's great. Lightning is a dangerously appealing shoot for many photographers. Unfortunately here in Atlanta it's a bit to dangerous. It seems like every year we have several people hit by lightning and at least a dozen houses hit and set on fire. How do you get your lightning shots? Do you use a electronic trigger or a Bulb exposure? Would love to see some of those shots. After you have completed at least five posts the system will authorize you to start using the Gallery.

We live in an area where we have a view from one of the green spaces of the whole southern horizon, including mountain ranges. It makes photographing lightning relatively safe because you can see it from a distance. I just started shooting bulb shots this summer and have gotten some lucky breaks just randomly before that. How does the electronic trigger technique work? I will post my lenses but my newest purchase is the slightly unwieldy 18/300 VR.

Joseph Bautsch

All you have to do is Google "Lightning Photography" and you will come up with any number of sites regarding shooting techniques and equipment. An electronic trigger is a device that mounts on the hot shoe and plugs into the camera. It works like a cable release but is triggered by an electric eye that senses the lightning flash. It will trigger in about .1 sec. They take out a lot of the guess work. Set the camera up on a tripod and point it in the direction of the lightning and it will take a shot every time there is a strike. The triggers I've seen run about $150. A 18-300 VR is quite a lens do you do much nature photography?

Curt

Welcome to the site, as everyone has said lots of friendly ppl. here. I have been known to shot a few action figures myself....lol.

I try to do quite a bit of local nature photography but I am not really sure what the best applications for the big lens is. In some ways, it is a bit like trying to shoot with a telescope and yet I don't feel like it gets as close as I would have expected. Also, does anyone know how to get rid of the video countdown when I try to take live footage? It starts counting down at 5 min. and then shuts off at 0. O I can't believe I can only capture 5 minutes at a time. Thanks for your input!

Curt

Well, I do a little of everything...lol.
Haven’t been doing much with portraits, not much of a people person I guess? Take a look at my gallery if you want to see what I mostly do.
Jack of all pictures, master of none....lol. The lens you were looking at is a zoom (good for getting up close ) I believe the one in the picture you are referring to is a 55-200mm.