shots after dot-tune

chico

performed the dot-tune method for auto focus fine tune.cloudy day but did the best I could.learned a few other things in the process.
1) my tamron 70-200 wont auto focus in live view.
2)my giottos vt806 tripod is almost useless with my set-up
3) it is very hard to manually focus in live view with a medium weight tripod,lol.
so,anyways,with these set backs I tried anyways.I ended up with a -5 adjustment at 135mm.went outside and took some hand-held pics.definately much better.I got 10 keepers out of 17 instead of the 1 or 2 I was getting before.I need to get a real tripod and do this again on a sunny day. at least I can use my camera now and work on fine tuning myself.here are a few pics,let my know what you think please.thanks, Troy
pics are in my gallery

Last edited:

eurotrash

I learned that dot-tune wouldn't work on any zoom lens I tried it on. Reason being is that they really change constantly when zooming. So I think in the video the guy mentions a workaround would be to kind of 'set it in the middle-ish range' for optimal performance and let it slide.

How did yours work out? Better than before?

chico

I learned that dot-tune wouldn't work on any zoom lens I tried it on. Reason being is that they really change constantly when zooming. So I think in the video the guy mentions a workaround would be to kind of 'set it in the middle-ish range' for optimal performance and let it slide.

How did yours work out? Better than before?

yes,a lot better. I set it at 135mm to do the fine tune.

chico

tested my other lenses today.nikon 18-55vr and a sigma 24-70 2.8D EX. both are very sharp and work in live view. my tamron 70-200 2.8 is inconsistent and does not work at all in live view. It wont focus in live view.has anyone used this lens on their d-7000? this is the older version, not the newer VR version. It works just fine on my D-80's. thanks, Troy