Rattle from onboard flash

Cowleystjames

When the onboard flash is down, if I rotate my 800e I get a rattle from that area, almost as if a weight is moving up and down. With the flash up, the camera doesn't do this.
It sounds a bit like the aperture lever on a TC 17II moving, noticeable but quieter.
Does anybody elses do this bearing in mind the camera is three weeks old?
What's your thoughts on this?

Watch72

Now that you mention it. So I check my D800E - and yes, there is a little sound when it is rotated - sounds like you described - a little weight moving up and down. So everything is cool.

Cowleystjames

Many thanks Watch72, the sound is a bit disconcerting but this seems to have alaid my fears that I have a fault.
Just a bit miffed that my old D90 and my D7100 don't "rattle" like this and they're half the price or less!

Cowleystjames

​Okay, decided to take matters into my own hands after the store I bought it from wouldn't entertain replacing it for the "rattle" that was there.Despite spending over £4000 on body, grip and lens.
But they did pull another one from stock and it exhibited exactly the same noise.
Okay, back to square one.
From all the reports on various forums and you guys, pointing me in the right direction, I removed the screw holding the sliding arm from one side of the flash,and examined the arm.
Then I figured that a little bit of delicate bending of the arm may take up the play, which appeared to be the back end of the arm on a mushroom piece of metal fixed to the flash arm.
After the tiniest of bending with very small watch makers pliers, i reassembled it.
Hey presto, not a sound, I didn't even need to bend the other sliding arm.
So one arm had far more tolerance than the other it seems.
Now I'm happy, shouldn't have had to do it on a £2500 electronic item, but well worth it.

Placidity

I bought a d3200 recently. It seems to have this rattling problem, even when the flash is up. Do you think I got a really bad one, and should return it or get a replacement.
Thanks.

BackdoorArts

If it's the same noise I'm (barely) hearing on my D800 then either your ears are way too sensitive or I spent way too many years playing in bands, because I never would have given it a second thought, and likely won't ever again. That said, if it were a little louder and a tad more metallic sounding I could see it being of some concern.

perry1963

Have the same noise in my D800, also in my D300, noticed it on my D300 years ago so I assumed it was normal, both cameras work fine.

oldsalt

I've got the same little "rattle" in my 800E - checked out two other bodies in the camera shop at the time of purchase and they both had the "rattle" ... as you said it's the little arms for the flash - I'm not concerned about mine but I'm pleased to hear that you fixed yours - there is nothing worse than a "rattle" that annoys you... I own a Landrover and know all about strange hard to find "rattles"... :D
cheers