Big family,beach shots

Scoop

Need any advice. Ill be shooting a family if ten including two small little ones Nd two pregnant moms! We will be on an open beach. Ill shoot a few hrs before sunset. Any suggestions...lighting. I have a nikon d7000, 50mm lens, 70-200 lens and sb 600 light that I rarely use.

scootp

Thank you. Should I use 50mm for big family shots? Or rent a wider lens? I'm not too confident with using my flash. Do you think it's needed for fill or can I get away without it?

Phillydog1958

Thank you. Should I use 50mm for big family shots? Or rent a wider lens? I'm not too confident with using my flash. Do you think it's needed for fill or can I get away without it?

If you had a wide, I'd say to use it, but since you don't, you can always use your feet. You've got enough lenses to cover a few wide shots of the family as a group. You're probably going to mix it up and use both lenses. Of course you will take a few family group shots, but I doubt that you're going to take a lot. They're not the most interesting of shots. The fun is in those candid shots taken at various angles and different focal lengths.

Phillydog1958

Sorry, I didn't reply to the flash question. What's the weather forecast for the day of the event? Also, I'd use some flash for fill and to freeze some action. Also, you said that your event was a few hours before sunset. You guys might just enjoy yourselves to the point of staying until sunset. Sunset photos would be really great.

nikonpup

practice, practice, and more practice. Take pictures in the evening and after dark so you know what your camera will do. Camera and the flash are smart enough to do there thing, you need to be a little smarter. Do not wait till you are at the beach, practice now, if you have problems post your pictures and we can help.

Eye-level

Banned
Yes snow is double tough...super bright and cold!

Oh and NEVER EVER set your camera, your camera in it's bag, or anything related to your camera on the sand...not even for a second

Sand is bad...it is really bad if you get it into your camera.

So maybe a Ziploc freezer bag is in order too

Phillydog1958

Yes snow is double tough...super bright and cold!

Oh and NEVER EVER set your camera, your camera in it's bag, or anything related to your camera on the sand...not even for a second

Sand is bad...it is really bad if you get it into your camera.

So maybe a Ziploc freezer bag is in order too

. . . Another thing -- Salt. It's corrosive and creates a coating . . . I'm not sure how close you will be to breaking waves, but with breakers, comes misting salt water. If it's the typical calm beach with rolling waves, you should be OK.

fotojack

If you can get one, I'd suggest getting a 5-in-1 diffuser for reflecting light on the group shots. Using the natural power of sunlight with a reflector brings out the best in pictures.

All the advice given by the others is right on the money, too.

Screen Holder.jpg

Phillydog1958

If you can get one, I'd suggest getting a 5-in-1 diffuser for reflecting light on the group shots. Using the natural power of sunlight with a reflector brings out the best in pictures.

All the advice given by the others is right on the money, too.

View attachment 35207

Excellent idea, Jack! Let nature do the work for you. Maybe I need to consider getting one of those . . . :) I've not thought about using such with natural sunlight.

ktan7

For a family portrait, you will need just a 50mm. You don't need other lenses. If it is a family of 10, step back to get the entire family. You don't need a wide angle. 50mm gives you the actual perspection and the last thing you need is a wide angle that makes everything looks a bit distorted. Unless, you are going for a cinematic style, then use a wide angle.

FastGlass

Oh I have to agree with the sand issue. Sand can get everywhere pretty fast. And yes your probably going to need some fill. No such thing as a photo that doesn't need a little fill flash.