Weekend Project: mounting a K Pentax Lens on my D3100 (and see what happens)

Alecaldi

A week ago, for and unfathomable reason, I stumbled upon a provider on mercadolibre.com (a sort of south-american E-bay) which sold a PK-Nikon mount.

I could not provide more than the link (Adaptador Lentes Pentax K /pk En Cámaras Nikon (otros Disp.) - $ 480,00 en MercadoLibre) because neither on the package (naming it "package" is rather excessive) or on the mount itself is there any kind of reference to the provider. Just a conspicuous "PK-Nikon" on the ring mount.

This came along with a camera my father have unearthed recently, a Pentax ASAHI ME which was, to me, as founding the lost ark. He had it with only one lens. A 50mm f1.7 with manual focus and aperture ring setting, a legend itself and praised ad infinitum (at least, the reviews says so: SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). Bought it on the spot. After all, the price was about 40 U$s, the lens was in almost perfect state (aside a very small scratch on the body) and even if expectations were to use in manual focus, it was the same in the end; the lens itself was MF, only that t the old camera gives an option to go semi-auto adjusting the exposure time.

Predictably, the D3100 don't even detected the lens if not set to full manual (M) and even then the Flash had to be set to manual either.

Results, due to lack of time, are still not giving me a final answer. But the most daunting factor is I have no real sharp knowledge about how to benchmark it.

In fact, I've tested it at home, against the 18-55mm kit. But it was at night, in a room with four low consumption bulbs (120w each one).

The photos itself don't worth an attachment here and results are inconclusive to me. Add the fact that the mount itself has a small lens which may hurt the f1.7 and the Pentax was full frame and D3100 not.

I would welcome an advise on how to test/benchmark it properly to determine the value of the experiment (this weekend, I guess, I'll have time for such wanderings). Or the very least, how can I get the best out of the f1.7.

I mean, don't know. Quality of natural light, aperture times, exposures, and what to expect.

If it worth it, I'd have save the money that would have cost me a full prime f1.8 (aside for lacking the AF).

thanks in advance.

momsquam

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. before the days of dslr, I in fact had the old stand by, k mount pentax 35mm film camera. loved it.
It has a light meter. You set the camera for what film you are using such as 200 film speed and then it has some settings it allows you to make, you adjust your iso according to the light meters recommendation, manual focus, and 'shoot'.