How do i know if flash will fire?

mobi

Is there any way to predict if flash will fire in any of the automatic modes like auto, portrait etc.?

Sometimes I feel there is enough light and flash just pops out :(

§am

Can't be 100% sure as not got steady internet access at the moment, but doesn't the D3100 have a 'no flash' dial setting?
Switch to that if you don't want the flash to fire :)

mobi

Yes, it has got no flash dial. But I was thinking of portrait and no flash etc.

I can put it into M mode and adjust everything but since that takes time (especially when shooting toddlers) I thought whether there is an easy quick way.

Yes, it has got no flash dial. But I was thinking of portrait and no flash etc.

I can put it into M mode and adjust everything but since that takes time (especially when shooting toddlers) I thought whether there is an easy quick way.

If you want the function of auto and want flash or no flash use the program mode. If you want flash then pop up the flash. If you want no flash then don't pop it up. You can control the shutters speed/aperture combination by turning the thumb wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SteveH

If you are in auto, then if the camera thinks flash is required, it will pop up and slap on the top of the nose... When this happens, it's going to fire! I find that it is good for making your subjects smile though, when your own camera makes you jump.......