Nikon V1 & 18.5mm for Pano? YES!!!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
It was raining on a recent visit to Porto, Portugal so I only brought my V1 when we visited the port wine tasting rooms. YUM! Oh, right photography. . . the section of Porto near the river is called Gaia. During a break in the rain, I took 4 images resulting in the pano below. I created the image in Photoshop CS6. I used the 1 Nikkor 18.5 lens.

original.jpg

STM

It is an interesting shot but I can immediately tell you stitched photos together taken with a very wide angle lens. The images tend to bow towards the camera in the center of each shot. I can tell right where PS stitched the images together. It is best to use a lens of a longer focal length and just stitch more images together. I will often use an 85mm lens (on FX) with the camera rotated 90º when I do panoramas. It requires much more images, but the perspective looks a lot more natural. Especially when doing panoramas, it is important that the camera remain level in all planes so PS can stitch them together to where you do not have to crop out a lot of the image to get everything in the frame. I use a little 3 axis spirit level I slide into the hot shoe of the camera to ensure everything is always level.

Phillydog1958

That 18.5mm looks to be one sharp lens. Nice shot. I went out today and picked up the 30-110mm. I wanted little reach. What other Nikon 1 lenses are you shooting with, Eduard?

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
It is an interesting shot but I can immediately tell you stitched photos together taken with a very wide angle lens. The images tend to bow towards the camera in the center of each shot. I can tell right where PS stitched the images together. It is best to use a lens of a longer focal length and just stitch more images together. I will often use an 85mm lens (on FX) with the camera rotated 90º when I do panoramas. It requires much more images, but the perspective looks a lot more natural. Especially when doing panoramas, it is important that the camera remain level in all planes so PS can stitch them together to where you do not have to crop out a lot of the image to get everything in the frame. I use a little 3 axis spirit level I slide into the hot shoe of the camera to ensure everything is always level.

The 18.5mm CX lens is equivalent to a 50mm lens in FX. The image was captured in Aperture Priority and handheld. The rain was moving back in from left to right which caused the break in the clouds. (It rained very soon after the capture.) Even so, little needed to be cropped.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
That 18.5mm looks to be one sharp lens. Nice shot. I went out today and picked up the 10-110mm. I wanted little reach. What other Nikon 1 lenses are you shooting with, Eduard?

This might be the sharpest Nikon lens - bar none - that I've used. I also have the 6.7-13mm, 10-30mm and 30-110mm. The 10-30mm is by far the least sharp of any of them.

Which lens did you get? There is a 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR and a 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 VR PD.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 9.19.33 PM.png

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Wow! Just awesome, Eduard! . . . . and I can't tell where the photos are stiitched. Great processing. Needs to be framed and on somebody's wall (I'll volunteer! :cool: )

Phillydog1958

This might be the sharpest Nikon lens - bar none - that I've used. I also have the 6.7-13mm, 10-30mm and 30-110mm. The 10-30mm is by far the least sharp of any of them.

Which lens did you get? There is a 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR and a 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 VR PD.

View attachment 35037

I mistyped. I've got the 30-110mm. It ran me $250 at Bestbuy. My J1 was a refurb from Bestbuy.com, which came with the 10-30mm. I got it for $250, also. So, basically I got the camera and 2 lenses for $500. I agree with your comment about the sharpness of the 10-30mm. Are you using the Nikon 1 system as your primary camera? What about your DSLR?

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I mistyped. I've got the 30-110mm. It ran me $250 at Bestbuy. My J1 was a refurb from Bestbuy.com, which came with the 10-30mm. I got it for $250, also. So, basically I got the camera and 2 lenses for $500. I agree with your comment about the sharpness of the 10-30mm. Are you using the Nikon 1 system as your primary camera? What about your DSLR?

I predict that you'll love the 30-110mm. On our recent trip, I brought the 6.7-13mm, 18.5mm and the 30-110mm and it was an excellent kit. Our first two days were in Barcelona. Since we had visited there previously, I wanted to see how this setup would stand up to the DSLR and only used the V1. (The rest of the trip I primarily used the D300.) The 18.5 is the super star in the Nikon 1 series. I would rate it closely behind my DX 17-55mm as my favorite Nikkor lens of all time.

The D300 is still my primary camera. I travel a lot for work and can easily bring the V1 where the DSLR would be too intrusive. I wanted something better than a P&S. If I'm somewhere for more than one night, I'll try to make some camera time.

It was raining off and on really hard the day that I captured this image. I was able to put the V1 with the 18.5 in the oversized pocket of my raincoat. Since we were primarily going for port tastings (see below), I left the DSLR back at the B&B.

Churchills.jpg

Last edited:

daredevil123

I totally love the 18.5. It is a very sharp lens and pricing is very attractive. In my part of the world the 6.5-13 is still not out on the streets yet.... I've been waiting for months now.

Great shot by the way.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I totally love the 18.5. It is a very sharp lens and pricing is very attractive. In my part of the world the 6.5-13 is still not out on the streets yet.... I've been waiting for months now.

I wound up ordering my 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm from Cameta through Amazon. Is that an option for you?

Phillydog1958

I predict that you'll love the 30-110mm. On our recent trip, I brought the 6.7-13mm, 18.5mm and the 30-110mm and it was an excellent kit. Our first two days were in Barcelona. Since we had visited there previously, I wanted to see how this setup would stand up to the DSLR and only used the V1. (The rest of the trip I primarily used the D300.) The 18.5 is the super star in the Nikon 1 series. I would rate it closely behind my DX 17-55mm as my favorite Nikkor lens of all time.

The D300 is still my primary camera. I travel a lot for work and can easily bring the V1 where the DSLR would be too intrusive. I wanted something better than a P&S. If I'm somewhere for more than one night, I'll try to make some camera time.

It was raining off and on really hard the day that I captured this image. I was able to put the V1 with the 18.5 in the oversized pocket of my raincoat. Since we were primarily going for port tastings (see below), I left the DSLR back at the B&B.

View attachment 35058

Thanks Ed. That is a nice wine bottle/glass shot . . . Very sharp.