Who here has a cool forty grand burning a hole in their pocket?

STM

I am sure I should be able to find that much going through our two couches...........

The listing is wrong, however, this is an AI Nikkor, not a non-AI Nikkor.

$T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YlktBRe-ZI7mDw~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Nikon-...31443266?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27d244b742

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I was having a hard time figuring out what the deal was until it finally dawned on me the teeny tiny little piece at the bottom...

is the mount.

/Damn you, forced perspective!

Last edited:

STM

I was having a hard time figuring out what the deal was until it finally dawned on me the teeny tiny little piece at the bottom...

is the mount...

/Forced perspective!

This too was a special order lens, like the 6mm f/2.8 fisheye and Nikon did not make many of them. It is a truly unique lens and it looks to be in perfect shape, but $40K is still exorbitant for this lens, regardless.

Horoscope Fish

This too was a special order lens, like the 6mm f/2.8 fisheye and Nikon did not make many of them. It is a truly unique lens and it looks to be in perfect shape, but $40K is still exorbitant for this lens, regardless.
That's the thing: I'm willing to *bet* it's in perfect shape. I mean, seriously, how often would you see yourself pulling that lens out of your bag if you did own one? Dunno about you, but personally; I don't often kick myself for *not* bringing my 13mm f/5.6, you know? And to pay (even half) that much for something so... specialized.

Do some people simply collect lenses? I mean for just for the sake of collecting them?? I'm wondering if that's what's driving this price so deep into five digits.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think that this is more of a collector's item and will like not see a lot of action outdoors. It is just not practical which is similar to an antique fire arms. They look much better when displayed or in a glass case to appreciate their beauty. :)

Fred Kingston

That's the thing: I'm willing to *bet* it's in perfect shape. I mean, seriously, how often would you see yourself pulling that lens out of your bag if you did own one? Dunno about you, but personally; I don't often kick myself for *not* bringing my 13mm f/5.6, you know? And to pay (even half) that much for something so... specialized.

Do some people simply collect lenses? I mean for just for the sake of collecting them?? I'm wondering if that's what's driving this price so deep into five digits.

There's nothing 'driving the price'... there are no bids... :D

​The leather case looks really beat... I can't imagine that lens in that case...

STM

Scott, what reasonable price would you place this lens at? I'm curious how much this guy is over-pricing it.

Since Nikon only made about 350 of them they are very rare, but I think it is overpriced by a factor of 2. It is a very unique and useful lens if you do a lot of architcture work. One of the most amazing things about this lens, and it's far less expensive sibling, the 15mm f/3.5 AIS Nikkor, which I will own fairly soon, is they they do not have any distortion.

STM

​The leather case looks really beat... I can't imagine that lens in that case...

I have a lens case of that vintage, it looks very similar to that and it has rarely been used. They are not real leather, just some faux leather wrap around a hard cardboard tube. Brand new they looked great though!