Travel the world and get paid? Is it possible?

Watoh

Well.... myself and my wife have decide upon a life goal. To travel the world for an extend period. Something like 2 years, but who knowns how long once we get going!

The plan is to do this with 2 kids in a converted truck/bus or similar. Ideally we'd love to circumnavigate the world but at present the plan is in its infancy. We will unlikely go before 2017/18. So yes this is a 5 hear plan.

I plan to spend the next few years making this happen, I have not been so excited by a plan ever, simple as that, I'll be positioning myself in life in order to make it achievable. Obviously a large part of this is financial. The best way would be to be able to make money as i travel. It seems this is a path quite well trodden with photographers generating revenue with exotic images combined with travel writing from around the world, well that is the impression i get anyway.

I am somewhat fortunate that i am a independent web developer and have recently set up my own business and with present and future satellite internet availability i may well be able to continue doing business from some very weird and wonderful locations!

Obviously the reason for this thread is to explore, and get help doing so, how i can use my photography passion to make money.

I'd love some ideas, skills i should develop, contacts i should pursue etc etc over the next few years in order to be in a position to make this happen.

Thanks for any input. It will be greatly appreciated.

I will make this happen! :D

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sounds like a good plan. Traveling via truck/bus will be limited to a certain continent. I thought it will be via cruise liner or something similar. Kids education will be somewhat different if this is going to happen.

AC016

I have read about many people doing this and a few families. Here is a link to one such family:

Family of Five Goes Around the World in a Trick Land Rover Defender 110 - Adventure Parents

From all the articles that i have read about such adventures, it can't be done without a Land Rover, lol:) Get ready to spend time on cargo ships! Unless you want to lay out the money to put your vehicle on a cargo plane and your family on a commercial flight, yikes! Good luck to you my friend. I think it a fantastic idea! It takes a lot of guts to do it. The only advice i can give to you is to save save save save! And, get a good vehicle. Oh, try to get some sponsors perhaps??

SkvLTD

Gonna be like Thornberries huh? If you make some nice and big deals via web dev, then you could technically continue doing that as you travel along and have pics be a nice little side dish. So I'd focus on the existing business and pump as much into savings over the next 5 years as you can.

​Best of luck, and to actually stick with the plan.

Watoh

Thanks lads.. yeah i expect some long container ship crossings. Its one of the key tasks, finding the links across the oceans. They do exist, but are far and few between.

pfft Land Rover is for pussies :p I plan to buy and convert a Gaz 66

640px-GAZ_66.jpg

or Zil 131 ​

640px-NVA_ZiL-131.jpg

:)

Watoh

Gonna be like Thornberries huh? If you make some nice and big deals via web dev, then you could technically continue doing that as you travel along and have pics be a nice little side dish. So I'd focus on the existing business and pump as much into savings over the next 5 years as you can.

​Best of luck, and to actually stick with the plan.

That pretty much sums up my plan!

​My wife is a school teacher.. so we have the kids education somewhat covered too.

AC016

Thanks lads.. yeah i expect some long container ship crossings. Its one of the key tasks, finding the links across the oceans. They do exist, but are far and few between.

pfft Land Rover is for pussies :p I plan to buy and convert a Gaz 66

640px-GAZ_66.jpg

or Zil 131 ​

640px-NVA_ZiL-131.jpg

:)

Wow! That is one big mutha! Though, i think you are going to have to consider the mileage you get out of it, plus the ease of fixing it if it breaks down. Not only that, you may be paying more to transport it since it is far heavier.

Watoh

I'd love to discuss the pro & cons of different vehicles for this trip, but unfortunately this is not really the correct forum for that.

I'd really like to explore the possibility on monetising photography and travel. I'm sure with a few years planning and obtaining skills & contacts there must be an interesting angle. Travel writing, stock photos type stuff. I just have no present experience and wonder if anyone here does? Even if it is just a small side line, i don't expect to live off such funds. Best angle for me might be creating a popular travel blog that brings in advertising revenue.