Turning the "blinky" on my D800's image review

Dave_W

The Dude
Does anyone know how to turn the "blinky" thing on the D800 so that clipped portions of your image will blink red when you review them on the LCD screen?

TIA

DTigga

Playback menu --> playback display options --> highlights. Then click done.

When previewing an image, press up to scroll through the preview modes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Awesome, gracias amigo. I must admit I've not spent any time up in that menu area and for some reason didn't even think of looking there.

Dave_W

The Dude
Yeah, I'm feeling extra dumb today. I was reading thru a book on night photography and how you can use the eyedropper to set the WB and it was like a light went off in my head. All that effort I put into trying to reverse the orange haze of the sodium lamps in my night photos could have easily been removed with the eyedropper. Esh, I feel like quite the dolt.

I had the same problem with some night shots recently. Shot in RAW and rebalanced the color and it was perfect.

D5100_02105.jpg

D5100_02105uncorrected.jpg

Geoffc

If you're using blinkies (Highlights) I would recommend that you use the Neutral picture control and turn the contrast and sharpness right down. I have contrast as low as it will go. This is more for the RAW shooter as the embedded jpeg doesn't really matter, except it is used for blinkies and the histogram calculation. If you shoot jpeg only this probably isn't a good idea. If you use "standard" setting you will see blown highlights when they are not there in the raw file and end up being too cautious with you exposure. I tend to expose to the right on my landscape stuff so this is important to me.

Dave_W

The Dude
Good point, Geoffc. Part of my rational for the blinkies was for night HDR's and to quickly see if I've gone far enough on the high side. And like you point out, it's hard to get a "true" read-out for the histogram since it's so dependent upon the rendered JPEG. The more experienced you become as a digital photographer the more important the histogram becomes so I can't understand why they haven't invented some kind of RAW histogram or the like. Sounds like like method is a good one, I'll give it a try, thanks!

And back to the subject of eyedropper and WB. I'm stunned at how nicely it works, provided you can find a pixel square in the 18% gray range. Such a simple technique and I feel so dumb for completely forgetting about it. Oh well, chalk it up to age...

Geoffc

If you want to get your colour and white balance spot on have a look at the xrite color checker passport. I bought one recently and it can make adjusting these things very easy if you use lightroom.

JDFlood

Does anyone know how to turn the "blinky" thing on the D800 so that clipped portions of your image will blink red when you review them on the LCD screen?

TIA

I had a heck of a time finding it when I got my D800 also. Think I googled blinking or blinking highlights, so one gave me the page number inthe manual.