Alternatives to FLICKR and FACEBOOK

ohkphoto

Snow White
While it's almost impossible to prevent photo theft online, we can be a little smarter about where and how we post. The following are my recommendations because they are photographer friendly. Feel free to add more.

1. As far as I'm concerned, Flickr is just a junkyard of photos (and instagram is the same). There are SO many photos and it's easy to download without even contacting the copyright owner. I refuse to use Flickr even though I belong to some photo clubs who have Flckr streams. For photo visibility I use 500px and have just signed on with 1X (big European presence). The photos are visible to the public and you can follow others (like on FB and Twitter) and be updated when they post something new. Right click is disabled and there is no download option. Both of these sites encourage you to post only your best unlike most that want you to post EVERYTHING. . . a great way to get in the habit of curating your work. Also, the presentation is classy (unlike Flickr) . . . and both are free. If you want to upload more and additional features, there's a modest and optional upgrade fee. 500px is unveiling a new portfolio system, too. I no longer pay for Photoshelter ($30 per month!! as opposed to circa $30 per year for an upgrade on either of these sites) . . . still keep the free membership, and I've had more feedback and traffic from 500px and 1X than I ever had from Photoshelter (and for free!)

2. If you want to sell your prints then I highly recommend Fine Art America. Again, they're free (unless you want some additional perks and a website that ties in to the main site). Whatever you set as the price for your print, they take no commission for the sale. They make their money from the add-ons (special paper, matting, frames, etc.) . . . and if you upgrade ($35 per YEAR), they pay you a percentage of the add-ons. Right click is also disabled. Lots of options with this site. You're automatically enrolled in an affiliate program with the upgrade (if you go to Vivacini in my signature below, you can click on the ad under "websites for artists") This is my Fine Art America website: Helene Kobelnyk - Fine Art

3. I still use Zenfolio for client photos, especially because you can charge for digital downloads.

4. I rarely post photos to FACEBOOK. I post the photo to my blog first . . .make sure that the blog settings allow "capture first image" . . . then post the LINK, your photo will show up. Make sure your blog has an "image protector" widget that disables right-click.

The other way to post a photo is to "snip" the part of your website that contains the photo and post that.

The above have worked for me and maybe will help some of you through this internet maze.

I don't have to many images that are really that good but I am working on it now. I think I am going to just stick with Zenfolio and even for Facebook I will post a link from Zenfolio and not upload it to facebook. I think the people who really care about you or like to see your photos will follow the link.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I don't have to many images that are really that good but I am working on it now. I think I am going to just stick with Zenfolio and even for Facebook I will post a link from Zenfolio and not upload it to facebook. I think the people who really care about you or like to see your photos will follow the link.

I followed your link and love your "animal" portfolio.

​ First of all, you have many good images. Secondly, whether you consider them good or not is not what matters. They are YOUR work and need to be protected and respected.

Horoscope Fish

... For photo visibility I use 500px and have just signed on with 1X (big European presence). ... Right click is disabled and there is no download option.
Would you like me to explain how I just "stole" pics from 500px with a few clicks of my mouse; and why this works for every website I've come across so far? If you're really concerned about this issue I'll be happy to tell you, or anyone else who wants to know, how it can be done. I'm not posting the process here for obvious reasons but I encourage you to try it yourself; maybe the image I'm able to obtain this way is nothing to worry about? I don't know, I'm not a professional, but I'm happy to pass the information along to those who are if it helps you protect your work.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Would you like me to explain how I just "stole" pics from 500px with a few clicks of my mouse; and why this works for every website I've come across so far? If you're really concerned about this issue I'll be happy to tell you, or anyone else who wants to know, how it can be done. I'm not posting the process here for obvious reasons but I encourage you to try it yourself; maybe the image I'm able to obtain this way is nothing to worry about? I don't know, I'm not a professional, but I'm happy to pass the information along to those who are if it helps you protect your work.

Well, as I said, I know it's not foolproof but not everybody is as savvy as you, hopefully. I know that the images can easily be "snipped" especially by Macs . . . had someone do that from one of my galleries in Zenfolio and repost to Facebook. When I confronted her with copyright violation, she quickly deleted them.

If it's on the web, it can be stolen. I know that. My suggestions are to at least make it a little more difficult for them to do so and not provide them an easy "download" option.

And in answer to your question, no, thank you, you don't have to share how you "stole" it.

Horoscope Fish

Well, as I said, I know it's not foolproof but not everybody is as savvy as you, hopefully. I know that the images can easily be "snipped" especially by Macs . . . had someone do that from one of my galleries in Zenfolio and repost to Facebook. When I confronted her with copyright violation, she quickly deleted them.

If it's on the web, it can be stolen. I know that. My suggestions are to at least make it a little more difficult for them to do so and not provide them an easy "download" option.

And in answer to your question, no, thank you, you don't have to share how you "stole" it.
Wow, ummm... Okay, then. My apologies for offering to assist.

Bowing out now.

§am

I agree, the more tech savvy users will always find a way to 'steal' what they want, where they want, and whenever they want - nothing is fool proof. But if for the rest of the world you can make it harder than right click and save as, that will deter most people straight away.

What would be great is if the EXIF data on your photo had the serial number of your camera hard embedded into the data, much like the camer make and model etc. Far easier to say, here's my camera with serial number xyz which matches the one in the picture data, now show me your camera which took that picture and has serial number... oh look yours says abc!!!!!!

I have personal reasons why I don't share 99% of my photos on most sites - FB yes, but even then it's to very select few people ;)

The sites above and possibly others do help, but I'd say, start watermarking your images quite "in your face" type.
Interested parties will contact you in due course to hopefully purchase non-watermarked copies :)

Dave_W

The Dude
As has been pointed out, nothing is foolproof in keeping our images safe from being pilfered so that's why I've begun only posting images at 72 ppi and reduced dimensions. While it will not keep my images any safer it will significantly limit what others can do with them.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Wow, ummm... Okay, then. My apologies for offering to assist.

Bowing out now.

No offense taken and certainly no reason for you to bow out. Your point is well taken and your info very, very useful and I am very curious about how you did it and how long it took if you don't mind sharing via PM . . . simply because we still have trolls here on this forum and thieves dropping in. I wish I knew as much as you do and I apologize if I sounded disinterested or "persnickity" :cool:

The images that people steal from places like Zenfolio are low quality and are not what most of us are worried about.. Still not good but to show work on the internet that is a risk we all have to take. WE just have to limit our exposure by watermarking our images and just posting on sites where right click has been disabled. Just like a padlock It is just there to keep the honest people honest.

Mike FM

I use Smugmug since it doesn't degrade image quality. Flickr and Facebook goes from mediocre to terrible. It's not free, but you have unlimited storage and can upload full resolution images with right-click protection as well as the option for a watermark with certain packages.