Shutter release cable won't work???

MoonManMike

I bought one of these:
Remote Control Shutter Release Cable for Nikon D90/D5000/D5100/D3100/D3200/D7000 | eBay

Cheap and cheerful I know!
I plugged in and turned the D3100 on and it doesn't work. I also tried it in my mates D90 for good measure and it doesn't work in his either.

It doesn't appear to have a battery, so presumably it would 'feed' from the camera's power supply?

Am I missing something though? I'm wondering if I need to access the menu to activate something, or does it seem I have a duff cable?

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
i'm thinking it does have a battery and that battery is dead. Check the back of the unit and you'll see the slide mechanism that covers the battery bay.

MoonManMike

Thanks for the reply David. I didn't really want to tamper with the case, but have now taken the back off. It's held on by two small screws, but no battery cover. Looking inside, it's a fairly simply switch/slide set up and does appear to be supplied by the camera's power supply. So really, I suppose it's back to my original question as to whether I've missed something or that it's faulty (I'm leaning towards the latter!)

AC016

Well, i know that on my D5100, you actually have to select "remote" from the menu, as opposed to single or continuous. That is with the wireless remote. I have the cable release for my D80 and you just plug it in and it works, no need to change anyhting in the menu. The cable release for my D80 does not have a battery, it is powered off of the camera. I would imagine yours is the same. The very top port on the side of your camera is the one you want to be plugging it into.

The 3100 is strictly plug and play. No menu options or battery. I did have the D3100 first and had a wired remote. The D5100 is a completely different animal so don't even mention them.

If you just got this remote then send it back. the Nikon version is not that expensive and it is worth the money. £6.65 vs £2.21 for the one you bought.

MoonManMike

The 3100 is strictly plug and play. No menu options or battery. I did have the D3100 first and had a wired remote. The D5100 is a completely different animal so don't even mention them.

If you just got this remote then send it back. the Nikon version is not that expensive and it is worth the money. £6.65 vs £2.21 for the one you bought.

Is there a link to one at £6.65 as I can't see it on the link you sent. Thanks

MoonManMike

Thanks for that link. I was thinking that maybe I should get a 'proper' Nikon one as the one you've shown me is similar to the one I already have (not the same make though). It does now seem very likely that the one I have is faulty/ I've emailed the seller (got it from Amazon) and will wait to see what he says. Hopefully he'll send another (I don;t think it's fair that I have to pay return postage on something that was sent faulty!)

MoonManMike

A replacement has at last arrived and guess what? It doesn't work!

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive remote that will work with the D3100?

MoonManMike

Well, it's a happy ending. I bit the bullet and bought a proper Nikon remote. Everything is now working fine.....I guess it doesn't always pay to go 'cheap'!