Best sd memory cards for shooting Raw with the D600

Sarah MacKean

I am trying to establish which is the fastest memory card to use when photographing in Raw. I have been using Delkin sd 163x but I am unable to view the images as quick as I would like...any suggestions please? :)

BackdoorArts

What you're looking for is both the card rating (10) and the transfer rate. In your case it's only 24MB/s, which will give you about one and a half RAW images per second give or take. If you want FAST you'll want something like the SanDisk Extreme Pro which has a 95 MB/s transfer rate. I've got one of them in both my D600 and D800 (I use the CF card when I want to shoot faster, but the SD is easier for me transferring images to a computer - no external card reader required).

§am

A quick check, and the Delkin SD 163x card only has a read/write speed of 24/17 MB/s respectively.

As an example, the Sandisk Ultra is rated at 30MB/s (read and write I believe), and The Extreme at 45MB/s.
However, both of these cards (and your D600) are UHS-1 compatible, which means you should actually see speeds of 50MB/s regardless of what card you buy :)

eurotrash

Delkin is a slow card. You want to spend the extra money on a good name-brand card that has advertised speeds of 45mb/s or more. Personally, I like the 95mb/s cards.

§am

Sam49 - on your D5100, your camera body utilises the speed of the UHS-1 card, so you actually get 50MB/s. But yes, stick the card in a Class 10 compatible only device and you should see the 45MB/s :D

Horoscope Fish

I use the SanDisk 16GB Extreme 45MB/s class 10 cards, and I find this is fast enough to shoot in raw for me.
I use those same memory cards. In fact SanDisk memory cards are all I use these days, regardless of cost. I also shoot exclusively in RAW and have never had an issue of any kind.

eurotrash

I was thinking of using the SD extreme with 45 m/s in the primary slot with an eye-fi 16gb pro x2 in the secondary slot and sending medium or small jpg files. Does anybody do this? I am curious if the bottle neck would be the eye-fi or the SD extreme?

SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 SDSDRX3-064G-A21

Eye-Fi 16GB SDHC Memory Card Pro X2 Wireless Class 10

Depends how fast the eyefi card is, but I would look into that one first. Its probably slower than advertised. I know for a fact that the 5D MKiii will default to the slowest card for its write speeds, can't say if that's the case for the d 600. Are you shooting a lot of video? Is that why you're getting a 64GB card?

Last edited:

Krs_2007

I was thinking of using the SD extreme with 45 m/s in the primary slot with an eye-fi 16gb pro x2 in the secondary slot and sending medium or small jpg files. Does anybody do this? I am curious if the bottle neck would be the eye-fi or the SD extreme?

SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 SDSDRX3-064G-A21

Eye-Fi 16GB SDHC Memory Card Pro X2 Wireless Class 10

The 16 for jpeg will work fine, I use it and have no noticeable issues in the writing of jpeg+normal. I use the same SD card and no issues with it either. There are few threads on the eye-fi cards here you may want read as well.

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

§am

The max read/write speed is stated as 22MB/s but doesn't say whether that's for both read and write on the EyeFi card (and usually that means it refers to the read speed).

The Sandisk Extreme on the other hand, has a 45MB/s write speed in a Class 10 device, but your D600 is UHS-1 compatible so will actually write at 50MB/s

Mfrankfort

Sandisk anything. They make great products. 95mb/s best and most espensive. 35mb/s cheapest and works good. 60 middle of the road for both. Take into consideration what you need. If your shooting at max fps, go with the max speed. If your not, go for the price.