D90 to D700: Is the upgrade worth it?

Whiskeyman

I own a D90 and a mix of DX and FX glass. I really want to get an FX body and I'm really leaning toward a used D700. I plan to keep the D90 as a backup and also as a camera my children can use.

I'll use it for sports photography, day and night under lights, and HDR and panoramic shots.

While I really like the increased resolution of the D600, I'm more interested in the bracketing capabilities of the D700.

What else should I consider? Please send me your recommendations.

WM

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes it's worth it. And the D700 shares the same battery and charger as the D90. Both are great cameras that complement each other very well.

Sambr

Yes it's worth it. And the D700 shares the same battery and charger as the D90. Both are great cameras that complement each other very well.

I echo what Marcel has said. The D700 is a great all round camera, I still own one and wouldn't even consider parting with it.
This a shot from a "Roller Derby" ISO 5000 - the D700 gives my D4 a run for it's money up to ISO 6400. So if you are shooting sports the D700 will be right at home doing so.
ZSD_1107-X2.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The D700 has been a proven camera with all around performance with the exception of video of course. Just make sure you have some FX lenses to get you started. Prime lenses are usually a good place to start since they are more affordable.

Epoc

Love my 700. Its a great all rounder. Great high ISO, great FPS with a grip, great built quality, great feature set and did I mention it's great!! :cool:

Whiskeyman

"This a shot from a "Roller Derby" ISO 5000 - the D700 gives my D4 a run for it's money up to ISO 6400."

Sambr,

Now I've got Jim Croce singing in my head!!

Last edited:

crycocyon

I think the value of what you get now with like-new used D700s is very high. It is a top notch professional-grade camera in so many ways. I still actually prefer the ergonomic feel of the D700 over the D800, as well as the look of the camera itself. If you do low light work and need the speed for action, it is great.

Here's a comparison:

Nikon D700 vs D90 - Our Analysis

Whiskeyman

Thanks for the input, everyone: I'm now going to find out the answer for myself. The D700 is scheduled to arrive Thursday.

Please wish me good fortune with this. I'll hopefully find some good photos inside it!!

WM

Deezey

Let us know how the test drive went.

This will hopefully be my next camera body. From all the playing around I have done you made a great choice.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Whiskeyman

I'll let you know how I like it. Hopefully we'll have good weather this weekend and I can test it out.

Buying one has been an experience. I'm a strong believer that the discussions of the D600 sensor issues is helping to keep the demand for the D700 higher than it would be otherwise.

Deezey

I'll let you know how I like it. Hopefully we'll have good weather this weekend and I can test it out.

Buying one has been an experience. I'm a strong believer that the discussions of the D600 sensor issues is helping to keep the demand for the D700 higher than it would be otherwise.

I have to agree. A bunch of people I know either went D700 or D800 and just passed over the D600 all together. It is a real shame as the D600 is still a great performer. Just with its own very publicized quirks.

I have had some hands on experience with the D700 and just fell in love with it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2