Should I?

eurotrash

So I've had my Sigma 50mm 1.4 for awhile now and like it well enough. It still has AF issues however..
Problem is, it weighs about 1.1lbs and that's simply getting pretty weighty..

So I was thinking about getting a 50mm 1.8g for general walkaround purposes. I do feel like I'd be double-dipping and have my eye on the 85mm as well. The 85 though, as you know, is double the price of the 50mm 1.8. So conundrum....

I could also trade in the 40mm as well as my Sigma 50mm 1.4 for a nikon offering of the same and be set..

What do you think I should do?

I currently shoot dx but will be making the move to fx shortly (within the year). I'm planning these purchases based around that.

Rick M

If you're going Fx than I would sell them both. I think You'll find the 1.8 50mm to be more useable in average shooting than the 1.4 sigma. It sounds like you've struggled with the sigma, with less frustration, you'll be ripping off more keepers at a very slight bokeh loss.

Epoc

Sell both and your 35 DX lens. Get the 50/1.8G and the 85/1.8G and Sigmas excellent 35/1.4 and still have money in your pocket over buying the 50/1.4 :D

eurotrash

Sell both and your 35 DX lens. Get the 50/1.8G and the 85/1.8G and Sigmas excellent 35/1.4 and still have money in your pocket over buying the 50/1.4 :D

What? There's no way the shop would give me what, 700 dollars for those three. The 85 is 500, the 50 1.8 is 200... Even on the private market you keep getting low balled to the point it make you want to cry. I remember listing my 35 for 150 and someone actually offered me 100 for it. I just couldn't do it..

I realize that I'll be losing a little on the deal but right now I do need the extra 2/3 stop since I'm on DX still so I'm considering the 1.4 Nikon for that reason. I would love to get the 50 and the 85 together however!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Epoc

Sorry you misunderstood, you were talking about buying the 50/1.4. I'm talking about saving over buying that :)

Epoc

Arg geez, forget my post. I was thinking about the price of the 85/1.4 not the 50/1.4. It's Monday morning here and the brain is still fuzzy from the weekend ;)

eurotrash

Ahh, that's ok. I understand :)

So the plan is to try and get as much as possible and go with the 50 1.4 since in my MIND, that extra little bit can make or break shots (it's happened before!) Sometimes, that 35 1.8 is great though and I don't know yet if I'm willing to sell it.. indoors in cramped places it seems the perfect tool. The 50 always felt a little too long unless I'm shooting a concert or something similar.

Though, when I do end up making it to FX, my 16-85 will become obsolete as well...

eurotrash

​Well, I did it.. It cost me an extra 70 dollars to swap both lenses out for a Nikon 50m 1.4, but it already feels much better weighted on the camera. I'm also getting about 80% accuracy as compared to the Sigma which netted me around 50% at f/1.4. Pretty pleased even though it cost me more in the long run to get what I really needed. Hope to test it some more when the weather here isn't so rainy. Manual focus shot at f/1.6 in my car at a stoplight:

rainy day by stupidphotoguy, on Flickr

Next up is definitely the 85 1.8.