Anyone Using a Gordy Strap?

Phillydog1958

I'm searching for a strap for my new J1. Nikon offers a shoulder strap for free, with the camera, but they offer a overpriced wrist strap as a paid option. The shoulder strap is a big overkill, and they're charging $15 for the wrist strap. What bothers me is that Nikon is offering what we don't need for free and charging us for what we really need. Smart move, Nikon . . . Sounds like a marketing plot to me . . . All that is needed is a wrist strap. Why make a shoulder strap for such a small camera? I can't imagine myself walking around with a J1 hanging off of my neck, when I actually bought the J1 to place in my pocket or my wife's pocketbook.

I read about this strap on another forum and wondered if any Nikonites had used it. It's well made and very economical, especially when compared to the Nikon strap. My concern is that it has metal rings that might rub up against the body of a camera and scratch it. The designer of the strap has developed a few additional options that could remedy the situation, but I'm not sure. The designer does offer a version that has a string attached, but I don't know how sturdy the string is. Thanks for the feedback.

Here is the link: gordy's camera straps

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I use the Nikon AH-N1000 with my V1 and am very pleased with it. I purchased it for around US$15 from B&H.

AH-N1000_3651_black.png

Phillydog1958

I use the Nikon AH-N1000 with my V1 and am very pleased with it. I purchased it for around US$15 from B&H.

View attachment 34498

Thanks Ed. I'm not completely ruling out the Nikon wrist strap. It might just be the best option. I'm annoyed with what I perceive to be another Nikon marketing scheme/stratedgy :D. I'll have to stop in a Bestbuy or local camera store and check it out. I haven't seen it up close. What impresses me about the Gordy strap is that many use it with their DSLR's. That's a testimonial to sturdiness and durability.

Last edited:

crashton

I use a Gordy strap on my V1. I like it a lot. If I had to do it today I would order one slightly longer. Also they are a bit stiff when new. Using it & working it has softened it up nicely. Yes it is a sturdy strap.

Phillydog1958

I use a Gordy strap on my V1. I like it a lot. If I had to do it today I would order one slightly longer. Also they are a bit stiff when new. Using it & working it has softened it up nicely. Yes it is a sturdy strap.

Have you had any problems with the metal rings scratching your camera's body?

Phillydog1958

How do you like the Nikon strap? I'm liking my Gordy, but to be honest I never even considered the Nikon one.

The Nikon strap is a "Natural" fit for the Nikon 1 cameras. The Gordy is a better-built strap. I just decided to go with Nikon. My original concern for the Gordy was scratching of the camera body. I concluded that the Nikon was a slight bit safer.

crashton

Looking at my V1 equipped with a Gordy strap, after several months of hard use the camera has not been scratched by the strap attachment. Mine is attached with a split ring to the camera lug. If I was doing it today I'd buy a bit longer Gordy strap with string attachment. All in all I love the Gordy strap.

frogwash

I am an old 35mm photographer. I was always told to carry my cameras by the lens (cradling the lens and body together) so the lens isn't hanging on the bayonet mount pulling it off the body. Even when I used a neck strap. Has anyone ever had issues with heavy lens and distortion of the mount? I have a 70-200 lens that is about 7 inches long so it really cantelevers out there!

Happy Shootin'!

I am an old 35mm photographer. I was always told to carry my cameras by the lens (cradling the lens and body together) so the lens isn't hanging on the bayonet mount pulling it off the body. Even when I used a neck strap. Has anyone ever had issues with heavy lens and distortion of the mount? I have a 70-200 lens that is about 7 inches long so it really cantelevers out there!

Happy Shootin'!

If you fill out your profile we can better answer that question.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

crashton

Hi frogwash- Old 35mm film guy here too. I handle my cameras the same way you do. Especially with a long heavy lens attached. Some of Nikons lenses include a plastic lens mount making supporting the lens even mor important At least the 70-200 has a tripod mount, my 70-300 does not & makes me a bit worried when my camera & that lens are on a tripod. So far no issues.