Kalkara hillclimb 28/04/2013

Samsonite

Eventful day! Over 2000 shots, can't wait to get them on the computer and sort them out! Will upload some tonight... Tried some panning shots based on previous feedback...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Samsonite

Panning is quite difficult, it takes some getting used to.... I managed to get some good shots, but the majority were still slightly blurred.... Will faster glass help with that in any way or is it solely down to technique? My 70-200 hasn't arrived yet, so i shot with my 70-300 4.5-5.6 all day today....

RockyNH_RIP

Panning is quite difficult, it takes some getting used to.... I managed to get some good shots, but the majority were still slightly blurred.... Will faster glass help with that in any way or is it solely down to technique? My 70-200 hasn't arrived yet, so i shot with my 70-300 4.5-5.6 all day today....

Again, not seeing the shots you are questioning, it is difficult to answer. If you uploaded a couple with the data you shot at we could give better answers.

Faster glass may help depending on what shutter speed you were using and if you could have shot faster with what you had! If you did not maximize your shutter or your techniques was off, faster glass is not likely to help much.

Pat in NH

crashton

Samsonite- Faster glass isn't necessarily going to help. I think it comes down to technique. What shutter speed were you using? For me I set my camera on CH. As I pan I'll pop off 3 or 4 frames I usually throw a few away, but gain a good keeper. It takes practice, try honing your techneque shooting cars on the street. I use VR when I am panning, were you? Also what lens were you using. If you have a heavy lens on the D5100 it doesn't balance as well making it a bit harder.

OK lets see a picture or two so we may help you more.

Samsonite

Yes I was using VR and I was using continuous shooting, sometimes getting 10 shots in a particular location.... The problem seemed to be that the lens couldn't really focus fast enough... I was using my 70-300 F4.5-5.6 on my D5100...

Samsonite

Varying between 1/130 and 1-400. Is it possible to host photos on Nikonites instead of Flickr? Reason im asking is because yesterday I was on test with an Italian company which films hillclimbs and sells the videos / photos to people (If the test goes well, they will be paying me to shoot hillclimbs in future) and they asked me to not publish any of the photos I took... If its on Flickr they might see them, whereas just on here shouldn't bother them....

crashton

Without seeing a photo it is impossible to determine if it was the lens not focusing or camera movement caused your pan shots not to come out. My guess would be camera movement. I've shot pans with that camera & lens combination, it is doable although not the best option. The D5100 is a fine camera, but its autofocus is not meant for action sports. You may want to buy a D300 or D7100 for sports use. If you intend to sell your work & were asked not to put those shots on line don't. Since you want to become a serious money making photog I'd recommend setting up a site for yourself to host your photos on. Flicker is not a good option in my opinion. Look at smugmug or zenpholio. You can try either one for 30 days free to see how they would work for you.Good luck Samsonite.

My smugmug discount code.... codegVhOoc1hjCn5QgVhgVhOgVhOoc1hjCn5Qoc1hjCn5QOoc1hjCn5Q

Last edited:

Samsonite

Don't get me wrong, there were some good panning shots in which the background and wheels were blurred and everything else was in focus... I wasn't aware that the d5100 wasn't ideal for sports / fast action photography... Another is out of my budget for now as I have just bought a Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VR