Looking to buy my first flash...

Samsonite

I'm looking to buy my first flash, I don't know anything about them apart from the fact that they're very bright :) So I have a couple of questions...

1. what things should I consider wen choosing a flash?
2 Are flashes all-purpose or are there specific ones for different types of photography?
3. What sort of budget do I need for a decent setup (not looking for anything pro at the moment coz this is jut an experiment / learning curve....)
4. As with lenses, should I stick to nikon or are there other good brands?
5. What are the basics I need to know about flashes?

Thanks for the support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Samsonite

What do you by through the lens? Also another question... What are the limitations with the built in flash? When do you need to use an external one?

Horoscope Fish

There are several tutorials that will give you the basics on how to use and understand flash photography. Cambridge in Colour has one here that's very good. My advice... You don't need to pay hundreds of dollars for a Nikon branded strobe. Save yourself a ton of money over the SB600 and get this Yongnuo YN-468 II and an Omnibounce diffuser and you'll be good to go for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

Samsonite

Nikon D5100, I don't really know why flashes are used for... Was wondering what you guys use them for... Portraits? Concerts?

carguy

What do you by through the lens? Also another question... What are the limitations with the built in flash? When do you need to use an external one?

Click the ttl link in my prev post for details regarding what TTL is.

Most prefer an add on flash for much better results.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

RockyNH_RIP

I'm looking to buy my first flash, I don't know anything about them apart from the fact that they're very bright :) So I have a couple of questions...

1. what things should I consider wen choosing a flash?
2 Are flashes all-purpose or are there specific ones for different types of photography?
3. What sort of budget do I need for a decent setup (not looking for anything pro at the moment coz this is jut an experiment / learning curve....)
4. As with lenses, should I stick to nikon or are there other good brands?
5. What are the basics I need to know about flashes?

Thanks for the support!

My question to you would be what do you want to use the flash for?? Once you know what you want tod do with it, it will be easier to answer and ask questions...

Regards,

Pat in NH

crashton

Not to be a smart guy, but read the differences in the flashes spec's & go from there. I rarely use a flash so I'm of little help.

Samsonite

Well the first thing I've figured out from reading the above posts is that I'm interested in an on camera flash...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sam - just curious, are you expecting most of the information to be hand-fed to you? Most of these questions that you've been bombarding can be easily found by either reading the technical specs from the manufacturer. You can compare the specs and prices side by side so that you can make a sound decision for yourself. I think you've been given plenty of recommendations and now its time to do some of your part.