SB700 for general walk-around useage?

Camera Fun

I've been debating on whether or not to get a flash (possibly the SB700) in the future. Do you find it useful/needed when doing general walk around photography or do you just attach it when you're positive it will be used? Years ago when I had a 35mm camera, I always felt the add-on flash made the camera less convenient to carry as the camera became top heavy when using the neck strap. Thanks.

Mike FM

If you're going to walk around the city, the park...whatever, the last thing you want is more weight. If you're outdoors, it's not really worth the extra bulk since you'll have plenty of light to work with. Don't get me wrong, a speed light is fantastic to have in the bag and the SB700 is an excellent choice. For events indoors, it's going to really improve your shots if you use it properly. If you're walking around a city doing street photography, a better option is going to be a lens with a fast/large aperture. I personally prefer a 35mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.8 when walking around....even over my zoom lens. You can buy a new lens with all the money you'll save from not having to go to the doctor for neck pain.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've been debating on whether or not to get a flash (possibly the SB700) in the future. Do you find it useful/needed when doing general walk around photography or do you just attach it when you're positive it will be used? Years ago when I had a 35mm camera, I always felt the add-on flash made the camera less convenient to carry as the camera became top heavy when using the neck strap. Thanks.

I think it is essential to get a flash.

RockyNH_RIP

I do NOT carry my SB700 when doing normal walkaround. I mount it when I plan to use it and/or carry it in the bag if I take a bag. It is heavier with the speedlight.. I also do NOT use a neck strap, Black Rapid.

There are so many things you can do with the speedlight, worth getting in my opinion... But again, I was walking around in MA this morning for 3 hours and did not even bring it with... But I have it when I want it.

pat in NH

I would never carry my SB-700 mounted just for walking around. If I felt I needed one for walk around I would get the SB-400 but I would not want the SB-400 for inside. Confused now?

Horoscope Fish

I would never have a flash attached for just walking around photography. Typically I'll do whatever I have to be able to take advantage of natural light instead -- wider aperture, faster ISO, slower shutter -- before going to a strobe. That doesn't mean I'm anti-flash, just that I don't use it without some specific and compelling reason.