And the trinity is complete!....

Helitech

..... Along with my glass buying days! Today I bit the bullet and splurged on a Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG.... Hands down the sharpest lens I've ever owned... I was hesitant at first, but after all the reviews I became more and more confident, and after a test shoot it was a no brainer... I wanted something wider since the focal length from 35 to 50 is so close, but I'm pretty happy I spent the extra money on the sigma instead of going with the 28mm 1.8G... Here comes the crappy iPhone pic... From left to right: my D600, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, and Nikkor 50mm 1.8G... With the sigma shooting so well initially, I don't see myself keeping the 50 too long... sample pics from the sigma coming soon

agute8ez.jpg

Last edited:

crycocyon

Congrats! The D600 sure looks sweet with the grip on...a beautiful DSLR. Hope you don't mind me saying, but isn't a trinity technically three lenses of the same aperture (not sure if they have to be the same brand but I thought so too). :p

Helitech

It's really what you want it to be... Lol! The sigma was at a steal!!! I'd rather not say the price so I don't piss people off.. This is my ideal prime trinity though, but seeing how well the sigma shoots, I might trade the 50mm for a 105 macro

Helitech

both shots are the obligatory pet shots... unedited, just exported the NEF to JPG in aperture and resized to 1024x1024...
2bcuns.jpg

3481r0k.jpg

Last edited:

JDFlood

Congratulations. This trinity I can salute! This is a real serious combo... As opposed to three zooms. If I was plopped into Europe or Asia for six months to do photography this is the kind of kit I would take with me. JD

JDFlood

Great shots!

Squid on a stick, haven't seen that since.... Since... Oh yeh, I was in Japan. These must be for adults.... The kids seem to like the ones with the tentacles sticking up. Lake Ashi... Is where I used to see them all the time... JD

Helitech

Thanks for the compliment! I'm on the fence about moving to a D800.... Even after the wife gave me the green light, I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger! Lol!

JDFlood

Thanks for the compliment! I'm on the fence about moving to a D800.... Even after the wife gave me the green light, I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger! Lol!

The D600 and D800 are very similar cameras. If I owned the 600 I'm not sure what I would do. I would think in twenty years you would wish you made the switch... When display devices are 10k or 20k and your photos stand up to that really well. But other than the future. I have a D700 and d800... Never use the D700 any more.... Really does have too low a res for me. JD

Helitech

So you're saying I should make the switch? (Just say yes) hahahah! My main thing will be portraits of our baby that's on the way and various landscapes here in Japan since I just got orders here for another 3 years... I'm worried about processing the monster files, but I hear people who own and shoot the D800 in raw don't really get bothered by it... The main factor is the jump in resolution, second would be the AF system...

JDFlood

It really comes down to your income. If the cost for the D800 is not a big deal, then absolutely! If you would really have to do without a lot of other stuff, then no. I haven't found the file size a problem... But then I have +25tb around here. Only batch processing takes longer, the real time (Lightroom) isn't a problem. For me the D800 was a no brainer. JD

crycocyon

If the wife says yes then it is a sign from God that you must buy a D800 asap. ;)

Remember you have a choice of the file size/format/raw vs jpeg to shoot at so you can pick and choose how big the files would be for a given application. But for landscapes? D800. So can you keep the D600 as a backup camera? I'd love to see comparison shots of the same subjects with the two cameras and identical FX lenses.

Helitech

Thanks for the replies... Unfortunately I will not be able to keep the D600 as a back up... The deal was I would have to sell it if I decide to get the D800

Geoffc

I went from 600 to 800 very quickly because of the AF and general features / build which was more like my 300s. That said I think the 600 does take fantastic pictures. I certainly didn't change because I thought I would getter better image quality and I don't think I do.