Prime lens - 35mm vs 50mm and 1.4g vs 1.8g

goneddy

I am a beginner to DSLR photography and newby to this group. I recently bought a Nikon 7000 camera with 18-200 lens. That's all I have for moment. I have spoken to people and also researched a lot and been advised that everyone should have a prime lens in their camera bag. Would it be beneficial to have one? I have been looking at the 35mm 1.8g as feel 1.4g is far too expensive. Should I get a 50mm as well? If so, what is the difference between 1.4g and 1.8g. I understand that DX primes are magnified 1.5 x there making the 35mm the old 50mm and the 50mm a 75mm. Am totally confused here as to which one would be the better one to get or should I get both. I enjoy low light sunrise/sunset shots, close ups i.e. flowers, people and zoo animals and trying to venture into landscape. Currently no specific type yet. I hope some one can advise or help with which would be the best prime to get.

SkvLTD

Do you feel that you mostly shoot around 35mm (50) focal length/frame, fast moving objects, in fairly dark conditions? There's your real answer.

Also, older AI glass will be sharper, but almost full manual at a better price than modern, pro-grade primes.

Charlie

My advice would be to leave the 18-200 set at 35mm for a while and go through the range of photography you think you world like to do with a prime. Then do the same set at 50mm. You won't be able to do the low low light stuff, but you will have a much better idea after that which FL you will be happy with.

Lurch

If its worth anything to you; I just had a second-hand 50mm 1.8D arrive today. For the grand total of $70AU.
Gave it a quick test. It made me feel funny in my pants.
Fantastic lens.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Gave it a quick test. It made me feel funny in my pants.

Bad visual. LOL! :D

The prime lenses will definitely lower your ISO (f1.8 vs 3.5 - 5.6) and better subject isolation. We are talking about ~ 2 to 3 stops difference.

I'm a fan of the speed light, so my suggestion is to get a Nikon SB 700 or SB 910 especially for indoor shooting. It will give provide you a HUGE difference and will minimize the camera battery discharge since you will be using AA batteries (Nimh). Get the flash first IMO.

Horoscope Fish

Just a couple things you might want to consider...

1) The difference between 35mm and 50mm, in practical terms, is about two longish steps. I might suggest this is why you have two feet. 2) how often do you anticipate *needing* f1.4 over f1.8 because you're paying out the whazoo for that ".4" of an f/stop.

co2jae

Ive been mulling over which lens to get first, the 35 or 50 for a few weeks now. I don't shoot professionally and never will. I take pictures of random thinngs I see along my way, sports pictures and family (grand kids) pictures that would probably be fine with my old point and shoot. I believe I will get the 35 and crop down any shots that I wish I had been closer to. I figure this is easier than trying to add content into my shots.......

Mike FM

The 50mm 1.8G is an excellent lens. I dare say it's even better than the more expensive 50mm 1.4G in usefull apertures. The 50mm 1.4G has a bit more of a creamy bokeh at wide open, but you'd have to have two of the same shot side by side to really notice the difference. If you're on a budget and your camera body has a focus motor D90, D7000 or above, the 50mm 1.8D is a bargain and just as sharp as the 1.8 "G" lens. It's bit more plastic-y but it's an excellent lens. On lower models it will still work, but you won't have autofocus.

The 35mm 1.8G is a great all around normal lens. You don't need to crop, just take a few steps forward. The 35mm is a bit easier to work with on a crop sensor camera, especial in tight spaces where it's hard to take a few steps back as you would with a 50mm.

Last edited:

co2jae

My advice would be to leave the 18-200 set at 35mm for a while and go through the range of photography you think you world like to do with a prime. Then do the same set at 50mm. You won't be able to do the low low light stuff, but you will have a much better idea after that which FL you will be happy with.
h

I am using the 18-105 dx lens on my D7000. If I want to compare the 35mm 1.8 dx. Vs the 50mm 1.8 fx, should I set the 18-105 at 50mm or 75 mm to get the same content perspective as the 50mm fx? Thanks as always.....

Photo Joe

I was in a similar situation not that long ago. I opted to buy the 35mm 1.8g. It's a great lens for all-around use. I decided later on that I'd like a 50, so I bought a 1.8d for $80. I've seen some places online that sell the 35mm used for around $140-150, so maybe you could buy both lenses at a reasonable price.

SkvLTD

Honestly though, with 18-200 on the cam, I'd only get a fast prime if I absolutely needed it for something I shoot.

JDFlood

First consider that many photographers switch to primes as they become better photographers because differences in sharpness and overall performance become more important. Additionally they are lighter and can be cheaper. They also are really beneficial in making you spend a little more time framing, and getting yourself into position, which is usually much better than zooming. Primes tend to gather light Much better, so if it is dark, you have more flexibility. The "old fatherly rule of thumb" is your most commonly needed prime would be 50mm, or on a DX that would translate into a 35mm. But many, and I have heard most pros / reportage use a 35mm due to its better depth of field. I can't believe it took me 40years to question the 50mm thing. I find 35mm much much more appropriate for my kind of photography. So for you that would be a 28mm or so . So, my personal recommendation would be to get a 28mm or 35mm, not a 50mm, that would be good for primarily portraits. As far as the f number, I would go for 1.8 or 2. At this stage. I use a f1.4. 35mm on my D800, it is heavy and I think costs more than your 7000... So leave that until you Know you want that lens from personal experience. JD.

I do primarily, landscape, architectural, and street photography.

Last edited:

co2jae

I was leaning toward the 35 1.8 and I think that's what I will get because I like getting new vs used and I don't think I'll get both yet.....they are both relatively inexpensive compared to other lenses on my wish list. Thanks again.

Horoscope Fish

First consider that many photographers switch to primes as they become better photographers because differences in sharpness and overall performance become more important. Additionally they are lighter and can be cheaper. They also are really beneficial in making you spend a little more time framing, and getting yourself into position, which is usually much better than zooming. Primes tend to gather light Much better, so if it is dark, you have more flexibility. The "old fatherly rule of thumb" is your most commonly needed prime would be 50mm, or on a DX that would translate into a 35mm. But many, and I have heard most pros / reportage use a 35mm due to its better depth of field. I can't believe it took me 40years to question the 50mm thing. I find 35mm much much more appropriate for my kind of photography. So for you that would be a 28mm or so . So, my personal recommendation would be to get a 28mm or 35mm, not a 50mm, that would be good for primarily portraits. As far as the f number, I would go for 1.8 or 2. At this stage. I use a f1.4. 35mm on my D800, it is heavy and I think costs more than your 7000... So leave that until you Know you want that lens from personal experience.
That is some sage advice right there.

ktan7

If you are starting out, get the 50mm 1.8. 50mm is the actual perspective through a person's eye. Although, a 35mm will help as well if you are shooting landscapes. Definitely invest in a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 if you could.

JDFlood

If you are starting out, get the 50mm 1.8. 50mm is the actual perspective through a person's eye..

This is true and the commonly quoted reason for choosing a 50mm, but on an FX camera... The 50mm on a DX is equivalent to a 75mm, or a mild telephoto, most often recommended for portrait. JD

Charlie

h

I am using the 18-105 dx lens on my D7000. If I want to compare the 35mm 1.8 dx. Vs the 50mm 1.8 fx, should I set the 18-105 at 50mm or 75 mm to get the same content perspective as the 50mm fx? Thanks as always.....

Set it at 75mm.