Need lens advice

Cragle

I would like to purchase a 50mm prime for my D7100 and have been looking at a Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D or G. My question is, would either of these lenses be suitable for the camera with the APS-C sensor?

Thanks in advance
Glenn

Last edited:

Epoc

Yes both are suitable. Go the G model. Better bokeh, smoother quieter AF and better build quality. One thing to think about, a 50mm lens will have 75mm of reach on your 7100 due to the 1.5 x crop factor. You might also want consider a 35mm 1.8G DX. It is also an excellent lens which will have a reach of roughly 52mm on your camera.

§am

The 50mm lens will still be a 50mm lens on your D7100!!
It's only an equivalent 75mm focal length if you're comparing it to "old skool" 35mm film

Cragle

OK, what I would like to do is some portraits with a shollow DOF. Which lens would be best suited, Nikon AF 50mm f1.8G or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f1.8G DX? Price is pretty much the same?
I reaaly appreciate your input.
Thanks
Glenn

RockyNH_RIP

Glenn,

I have both... and they will both do the job you want. The problem I have with the 50 (which I like best) is that indoors I cannot always back up enough to properly frame, hence I use the wider 35mm.

I assume you have the kit 18-55. I suggest you take some simulated shots how you would like to and see what focal length works best "for you". That is the best way to decide which you should buy. You can also look back at other similar shots you have already done and see what fl you shot them at.

Have a great day!

Pat in NH

Rick M

OK, what I would like to do is some portraits with a shollow DOF. Which lens would be best suited, Nikon AF 50mm f1.8G or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f1.8G DX? Price is pretty much the same?
I reaaly appreciate your input.
Thanks
Glenn

50 1.8g

Cragle

Just picked up the 50 1.8G today. Well, I'm busting my nuts to get out there and use it. Had a bit of a play with it at work today and just love it.
Thanks again to all that helped me make my decision.
Cheers
Glenn

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Just picked up the 50 1.8G today. Well, I'm busting my nuts to get out there and use it. Had a bit of a play with it at work today and just love it.
Thanks again to all that helped me make my decision.
Cheers
Glenn

Hope you find it as nice as I did mine!! I have it and the 35mm and use one of them all the time!

Pat in NH