Thinking About Upgrading D7100 or D600? What Do All The Nikonites Think?

Which Camera Should I Get?

• D7100 @ $1196

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • D600 @ 1599

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Corey @ Faymus Media

Now I know this is going to sound crazy but I just purchased the D7000 and I love this camera. Its pretty damn awesome. I have a brand new battery grip 3 days old on it, of course the Nikon one :). However I have a guy who wants to snag the D7000 and offered me $850 for it with the grip. So I am thinking about upgrading to the D7100 because lets face it. Its everything I LOVE about the D7000 with more resolution and better quality images.

So I wanted to do this figured I see what my fellow nikonites thought. THEN, I found a D600 refurbished for $1500. Which is only a few hundred more than the D7100. I do already own a D800E, and I am not sure if it would be beneficial to have 2 FF cameras. I was leaning to have one DX camera for a purpose, but I love the D600.

So what do you guys think?

D7100 or D600?

WhiteLight

Wow.. that's a LOT of confusion in one set of statements Faymus :p
But, that is a kind of predicament i would love to get stuck in.. Spoilt for choice!

I really can't suggest you to go one way or other cos they all are awesome cameras.. though i might think you may want to give the D600 a skip with all the issues...
If nothing else, i just wish the sales of the D600 really drop due to this & at least that makes Nikon take some action..
Sorry that was off topic..

So am guessing i vote for sticking with the D7000 (which isn't really a choice there) unless of course you have sh*t loads of money & dunno what to do with it ;)

Corey @ Faymus Media

Wow.. that's a LOT of confusion in one set of statements Faymus :p
But, that is a kind of predicament i would love to get stuck in.. Spoilt for choice!

I really can't suggest you to go one way or other cos they all are awesome cameras.. though i might think you may want to give the D600 a skip with all the issues...
If nothing else, i just wish the sales of the D600 really drop due to this & at least that makes Nikon take some action..
Sorry that was off topic..

So am guessing i vote for sticking with the D7000 (which isn't really a choice there) unless of course you have sh*t loads of money & dunno what to do with it ;)

I agree with the D600 statement. I am unaware that it was still an issue tho, I thought they fixed it. I just want the best possible images and I LOVE my D7000. I own a D800E and its the best DSLR ever made (IMO) and I still believe that the D7000 is one hell of a camera that impresses me.

With that said, Thats what makes me look at the D7100 is the fact that it is everything the D7000 is and then some. If the D7100 is as fast on startup, and has low shutter lag like the D7000 then that would be awesome.

WhiteLight

My thoughts only... am sure some would disagree, and you may too..
BUT
The D800E that you have in all probability is the best FX camera on this planet today..
I would stick my neck out to say that, in all probability, the D7000 is the best DX camera on the planet today... even after considering the 7100 (which is by itself definitely an awesome camera, no doubts whats so ever)

evan447

just get out in the real world and take some photos. continually chasing the next best thing is pretty pointless. your d7000 and d800 are great cameras.

Corey @ Faymus Media

just get out in the real world and take some photos. continually chasing the next best thing is pretty pointless. your d7000 and d800 are great cameras.

While I agree they are great cameras indeed, and I appreciate your comment. I have been in the real world taking photos for a very, very long time.

WhiteLight

Let's see if this makes it easier for you:

Logical person - D7000
Spec Sheet Aficionado - D7100
Swashbuckler - D600

Now don't go for the last one just cos it sounds cool ;)

Akiviri

My 2c - if you bought the 7000 for a purpose, and that purpose hasn't changed then either keep it or get the 7100. Unless for some reason you want 2 Fx's - then get the 600. Me - I'd sell the 7000 and get another lens for the 800 and be happy with that unless I needed a backup. Which is why I'll never get rid of my 90. Only you know what gear you need - we can spout opinions all day long, but it doesn't mean jack really because you know what you need better than anyone else.

Corey @ Faymus Media

My 2c - if you bought the 7000 for a purpose, and that purpose hasn't changed then either keep it or get the 7100. Unless for some reason you want 2 Fx's - then get the 600. Me - I'd sell the 7000 and get another lens for the 800 and be happy with that unless I needed a backup. Which is why I'll never get rid of my 90. Only you know what gear you need - we can spout opinions all day long, but it doesn't mean jack really because you know what you need better than anyone else.

Well said. I just wanted to get a feel for what the D7100 and its capabilities are and if its worth the plunge.

Epoc

Either keep your 7000 (I know, it wasn't one of your options, but you seem to be having a love affair with it ;) ) and put the money toward beer :) or buy the 7100 and be just as happy. Personally, I wouldn't touch a 600 with a barge pole cause of all the issues and Nikon's pathetic response to these issues. I own a 700 and a couple of 7000's. Today I went to a local dam water skiing with a bunch of friends as it's a public holiday here in OZ. 700 had a 24-85VR on and 7000 had 70-200 2.8 on to get that bit of extra reach for shooting from the boat. Perfect combo!!

AxeMan - Rick S.

Hey Rick. I rent from them all the time. I just figured I would get some thoughts on what everyone thought. I already love the D7000. What do you think of your D7100?
I like it a lot, coming from a D90 (which still is a great camera) I think it was a great move for me.

I find myself adding contrast now instead of taking it away when processing RAW files, which tells me it really pulling in the shadows. I think the proper name would be Dynamitic Range if I not mistaken.

As for buffer issues, I don't motor drive. The few time I have ( I shoot RAW only) I have not had an issue, however I'm using a class ten card that writes 95MB/s.

The only thing I am disappointed in is the cropped DX mode. I thought the quality would be a little better I find them a little soft, but that could be my third party lens doing that zoomed in all the way, it's known to have issues at 200mm (Sigma 70-200 f2.8) or I'm used to looking at 24mp and I'm seeing the drop down to 16mp in DX crop mode.

I have a Nikon 28-300 f/3.5 - 5.6 (which I bought in my dumb and foolish days) but have not had it on the D7100 yet. It was a light eater on my D90 and I have not used it since last year after I bought all fast glass. Seeing how the D7100 has higher ISO capabilities I should give it a try.

johnwses

Nikon D7100, Gave this 5 stars because I couldn't give 4.5 stars and think it deserves more than 4. I am not a professional by any means, just a hobby-amateur photographer who wants decent quality photos. I am also not a pixel counter or zoom in umpteen % like others seem to do. I like some control to learn and further my ability but also appreciate the auto/scene modes. That said, this is an excellent camera and in my opinion a good value given the build with weather sealing. I chose the body only and tested it so far with the 16-85mm lens I already have. The few tests I have done have produced excellent images but I have not enough video yet.

bigal1000

:friendly_wink: Do you really want a FF body if yes buy it,if not I'd stay with the 7000 or get the 7100. I have one and it is a great camera in my opinion.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Thom Hogan posted on this very choice yesterday. www.bythom.com

That assumes you can find anything on Hogan's site. I wish to God he'd organize it properly.

I've posted on this before, but suffice it to say the D600 is amazing and given it's a refurb I'd assume the shutter has been replaced and you should hopefully never have to deal with the dust issue. You can shoot 18MP DX with the D800, so go for the D600. Absolutely amazing sensor.