Can I change video output of D3100 to MP4?

atomarchio

Is there a way to change the video output of the D3100 to MP4?

I am having a very tough time getting the video output from this camera to a decent quality when converting to MP4.

I've used Handbrake and Aimersoft but quality is poor and playback is slow. Perhaps if I could change output from camera before conversion, I can it to something easier to convert.

Please let me know. Thanks.

atomarchio

Wow, that is disappointing.

I understand the original video content fine. The problem is that it's in a format that I can't use.

I've tried all kinds of MP4 conversion settings, messed with data rates, etc. For some reason, the video from this darn camera is the only I can't to work.

Now what should I do? Should I buy a separate camcorder just for video? Or buy another SLR which outputs the video in the format I want?

Nope, it is what it is. I had a D3100 to start with and was always happy with the video. If you go to Chamber Choir | Alabama Choir School and play the video on the page you will see what I shot with a D3100. The audio is from the camera also. The lens was a 40mm

Movie maker will save a mpeg4. Trying one now to see how it does

It saved as a mp4 and I could not tell any difference in the quality. I do have some background in video also.

Last edited:

atomarchio

Yes I used handbrake. Problem I was having was playback with Tivo Streambaby. Our Tivo is how we watch our home movies.

For some reason, I was getting the paused/slow playback. Tried with both Handbrake and Aimersoft video converter changing the settings various times but still nothing would work.

atomarchio

Just tried Movie Maker. It wants to save/convert Video to email, computer, zune, tablet, etc.

When I go to custom settings, and save as. It wants to conver to "MovieMaker" file type.

How do I get the convert to MP4?

atomarchio

When I convert video from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Aimersoft/Handbrake, that video converts to MP4 easily on plays on my Tivo via streambaby just ine.

When I convert video from D3100 using the exact same app/MP4 settings, has difficult playing/pauses on my Tivo through Streambaby.

Why would I get 2 different results with the exact same settings? What is different about the D3100 video?