Fast mid-range zooms?

D70S

I am looking to get a decent piece of glass, and am looking at the nikon 17-55mm f/2.8. Someone from my chinese school has it, along with a 50mm f/1.4D and a 24-70 f/2.8, AND a D7000(he has almost every lens that Ive ever wanted T-T). I have used it and I think its a pretty decent piece of glass. so is there any recommendations I should go for instead of the 17-55? Also, should I upgrade my body first(to a D7000 or 7100) and save the lens for later? or should I get the lens and wait for the body(am leaning more on this side but not sure)?

pedroj

The 17-55mm is a dx lens....If you are thinking of going FX sometime in the future I would recommend FX lens...
16-35mm F4 or 14-24mm...24-70mm...80-200mm or 70-200mm...

daredevil123

If you are on a tight budget, you can also consider the Tamron 17-50. I used a version 2 (with build in motor) without VC for a couple of years and it served me well.

Depending on what you shoot, 24-70 might be an odd range, especially if you are shooting events or a little landscape.

And about your camera body, technology has come a very long way since the D70s. It might benefit you a lot with a switch to a D7100.

Last edited:

D70S

I will think about the Tamron, but Im not really comfortable with 3rd party brands, but I guess if itll work with the D7000 or D7100 I will consider it, since I will upgrade to either of those sooner or later, and will stay with it for quite a while. I might think about the 16-35, but 24-70 is way too heavy, I borrowed it from the same guy mentioned above also. and not really looking into telephotos since i have a fabulous 70-300mm VR already =] thanks anyways!

daredevil123

It will work well. The tamron is way way cheaper than the Nikon 17-55. (think 1/4 of the price). It pretty much offers great image quality and is sharp as hell but there are one or two quirks here and there that you have to live with. Once you get around that, you will be ok. And the lens is very compact and light.

Here is one I shot using the tamron 17-50/2.8

3866987576_50dfebf911_z.jpg

D70S

cant really tell at the small size, but definitely will look at the tamron, should I get the one without VC just to get one more inconvenience out of the way, or not? seems to me the autofocus are also quite loud, but i dont think thatll be a problem in the environment that i am shooting in. but if I can, I might get a refurb or used nikkor if I can find one close to or under $1000. Anyways, my parents make the last call, so ill see how things work out =]

D70S

yea, but equipment doesnt matter, theyre the tools to make it more convenient =] which is why i am looking for a fast midrange zoom to make photographing lowlight much easier =] I also looked at the Sigma 17-50mm and I am leaning more towards this than the Tamron

jwstl

I was making the same choice not that long ago and chose the Sigma over the Tamron and the Nikon. I read a number of positive reviews but Thom Hogan's pushed me over the edge. He chose it over the others so that was good enough for me. And I love that lens. It's always on one of my DX bodies and the results have been excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D70S

Ok, I will still go for the nikkor if i can find a good deal before summerbreak starts, if I cant, Ill go for the Sigma, because I feel more comfortable with a Nikkor. Thanks everybody! =]

jwstl

D70S;142251I feel more comfortable with a Nikkor.[/QUOTE said:
I used to be that way. Now I buy the best regardless of the brand. And it's not always Nikon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D70S

Wow I accidentally bought a Nikon 17-55 because I was going too fast on the screen T-T oh well its only $150 above the Sigma/Tamron anyways. It seems good also, with only a barely noticeable ding on the side. Guess ebay made a decision for me...

D70S

now next target, Nikon D7100! and then on the seventh day, I shall rest.....but it wont be till next year at the least