Joohn

spider2ns.jpg

Camera : Nikon D90
Lens : 18-105mm
F-Stop : F/9
Exposure Time : 1/80 sec
Iso : 200

Joseph Bautsch

Hey, cool shot. Looks like the spider has his lunch all wrapped up. Good details, sharp, droplets reflecting light, good bokeh. Spider webs are not easy to shoot. It takes a bit of planning. John, give us some of the details of how you shot this one.

Joohn

Thanks Joseph,

The main technique behind this image

Used Manual focus as auto focus was not getting the net clearly. in Auto it was focusing highlighted background.
As drops are there on net so decided to use flash. So drops details will come out. Flash exposure compensation I have set to --3.0

Joseph Bautsch

OK, the drops were already on the web when you found it? A lot of photographers that shoot spider webs bring a spray water bottle with them and will spray the web with a fine mist to get the water droplets effect. The Nikon AF system is good but not good enough to pick up the fine lines of a spider web to focus on. Was this taken with early morning dew, or after a light rain?

goz63

Nice shot! It shows the effectiveness of the 18-105 lens. That lens sometimes gets some bad press because it is a so called "kit lens". Just because it is bundled does not mean it is a low quality lens. I really like mine and you have used yours most effectively. Very nice work.