Primes: What do you use yours for?

98kellrs

I was talking with a photography friend about lenses etc and we discussed what we used our primes for. I use my 50mm 1.4 for detail shots on cars, whereas my friend uses his more as a general lens for street.

So it got me thinking; what do people use their prime lenses for? Despite primes being fixed in terms of focal length they can be used for a variety of creative purposes.

I also thought it might help people decide which prime would be right for them, and also help people find new possibilities with that poor prime that never gets used. It might also help to state FX or DX format.

So for me:

FX Format:
50mm f1.4 - Automotive detail, general purpose
85mm f1.8 - Portraiture, flowers and general automotive

Look forward to hearing everyone else's :D

Michael J.

On my D5100

Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G for night-markets and portraits as well as street.

Nikon 40mm f/2.8 DX Micro-NIKKOR for close up and as street as well

STM

Seeming as how I don't own any zooms any more, having sold them both years ago, I would say I use my primes for............everything! ;)

From 16mm to 600mm AI and AIS Nikkors and pretty much everything in between, which is why my camera bag weight about 40 pounds with only one body and no strobes. I don't carry the 600mm except when I need it, but everything up to the 300 usually goes with me.

Last edited:

JDFlood

My "normal" is the 35mm f1.4 for street, architecture, and landscape ( on d800 FX). Then I'll add to it depending on the subject.. 85mm in city... 105mm when macro likely. 14mm-24 waterfalls, architecture... Etc JD

crycocyon

50 mm 1.4 landscapes, architecture, candid, portrait, close-ups, interiors
85 mm 1.4 portrait, short telephoto shots to isolate detail or shoot close (from everything above)
300 mm 2.8 wildlife, long distance landscapes, exterior portrait, public events (at least what I hope to do with it, just got it)

crycocyon

My "normal" is the 35mm f1.4 for street, architecture, and landscape ( on d800 FX). Then I'll add to it depending on the subject.. 85mm in city... 105mm when macro likely. 14mm-24 waterfalls, architecture... Etc JD

Checked your profile for a gallery and no photos? With a D800 and 35 1.4? :confused: I'd love to see some examples with that lens.

daredevil123

No fixed uses for my primes. My longer ones usually end up being used for portraits. But my 50 and 24 are used for street or portraits. And the 14 is used for landscape.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So it got me thinking; what do people use their prime lenses for? Despite primes being fixed in terms of focal length they can be used for a variety of creative purposes.

Primes or zooms, there is no limitation or restriction on what you can do with your lenses. You can't just limit the use of a prime lens such as a 50mm although they are more of a specialty lenses. You can use it for portrait (head and shoulder type) for indoor using a DX camera, flowers, group shots, landscapes, pets, sports, low light, product shots, etc.

If you prefer primes or both, just move on and use them. Don't be like me since mine get stuck in my bags (well, sometimes...;)).

98kellrs

Primes or zooms, there is no limitation or restriction on what you can do with your lenses. You can't just limit the use of a prime lens such as a 50mm although they are more of a specialty lenses. You can use it for portrait (head and shoulder type) for indoor using a DX camera, flowers, group shots, landscapes, pets, sports, low light, product shots, etc.
(well, sometimes...;)).

Exactly my point, I was asking what uses people have come up with for their primes, not asking how I should use mine :) Essentially brainstorming all the possibilities for those who have got stuck in a rut, or are new to primes and unsure of the possibilities..

§am

I use my 50mm f/1.8 for mainly portrait type shots of my kids and where I want a nice bokeh effect, but I find with two kids getting them together for a portrait type shot I step back too much :(

Rick M

I use my primes when I want the highest IQ possible. Also for superior speed and bokeh, you can't go wrong with a prime. My zooms are for ranges I don't have covered with a prime or more "casual" shots.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I switch off to a prime when I want a wider angle with deep DOF, when shooting indoors or when speed of getting the shot off is/can be of paramount importance.

As time goes on, and I learn more, the less I find myself turning to my zoom lenses and the more I find myself drawn to primes... Which has me cursing my DX sensor on occasion.

SkvLTD

35G for close-proxy sports and some general shots/where I want a wider angle than my 50.
​50H for anything artsy, portraits, stills.

pedroj

I have 2 prines...[300mm IF ED F4 sports, landscapes & portraits} and the 50mm D F1.8..{sports, landscapes & portraits plus macro}

Eye-level

Banned
I use my primes to take pictures of nekkid women... *I wish* Hey you have to aspire to something new and unusual right isn't that the spirit of this thread ? LOL

No I use the 85 and 105 in the traditional manner - for portraits of people and animals most of the time
I use the 28 and the 50 as all around shoot at anything sort of lenses...the 28 is my preferred vehicle for vehicles
Now I need some range because I want to get into birds and deer...

​Sorry the same old same ole... :)

evan447

i have always owned a maximum of six lenses at any one time. at one point each one was a zoom. now a few years down the line i have 1 zoom and 5 primes!
tokina 11-16; buildings, scenery/landscape. creative ultrawide stuff.
nikon 50mm af-d; low light/indoor.
micro-nikkor 60 af-d; plants/flowers/fungi.
micro-nikkor 105; bugs.
sigma 150; butterflys/dragonflys.
​nikon 300 f4 af-s and tc 14 ii; birds.