Nikon 24-70 2.8....Nooooooooooooo!!!!

GeeAirMo

After many days agonizing over spending the money for the Nikon 24-70 2.8, I decided to pull the trigger on a "Gently Used" one from Adorama.

I asked the rep over the phone about the usuals...the warranty, condition and going with a Refurb unit instead.

After being advised to go with a refurb from those on this forum, I called and spoke to a rep who told me that the "Used" model they had was in "Mint" condition.

I decided to give it a go. I even payed a little more for shipping as I was saving some $ on the lens and I was, of course, excited!

UPS delivers the lens to me this morning. I open it up with the enthusiasm of a Kid on Christmas Day!

The lens looks great works just fine but then I noticed..... ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366756934.855585.jpg

You fine people on this forum told me to go with the refurb if it was available, but this is what I got buying a used one.

I just sent it back today to adorama in exchange for the Refurbished unit I should have ordered in the first place.

Guess I have learned my lesson!

Rick M

I would not buy anything used unless I can inspect it first. I've bought used from local craigslist sellers, but again, I can see and test it first. I may be a bit paranoid, but I'd rather pay full price for new when it comes to expensive gear.

GeeAirMo

I would not buy anything used unless I can inspect it first. I've bought used from local craigslist sellers, but again, I can see and test it first. I may be a bit paranoid, but I'd rather pay full price for new when it comes to expensive gear.

I understand what your saying....but I hope I have good luck with this Refurbished (by Nikon USA) unit.

If this falls through, then I will end up buying it new.

Rick M

How close is the price to new? For something you may use for 25 years (or more). It would be different to me if it was a special purpose, occasional use lens. That particular lens is usually an everyday workhorse for many.

Last edited:

TedG954

Nikon refurb'd equipment has been excellent and you'll save a lot of money. Both, my D800 and D5100, are refurbs and you couldn't tell them from new. They have been perfect.

Be sure to get the extra 12 month warranty for $7.95. That extends the 90 day to 15 months.

Last edited:

GeeAirMo

How close is the price to new? For something you may use for 25years (or more). It would be different to me if it was a special purpose, occasional use lens. That particular lens is usually an everday workhorse for many.

The difference is close to $500 especially since there is no Tax.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Some of my lenses are used, probably 60% were bought new, 40% were bought as "used". There are only two places were I buy used lenses and the sellers that I deal with are honest and describes the lens condition accurately. I avoid Ebay or craigslist unless you can meet up and inspect the lens to get some assurance. A $500 in savings is pretty huge and is worth considering. I can't blame you on why you tried that route.

RockyNH_RIP

I have bought one used lens from Adorama (Perfect) and 3 refurbs. The refurbs have all looked as new! I bought the one used because they did not have a refurb (and I did not have an issue ) KOW (Knock On Wood!)

Pat in NH

JDFlood

I usually buy new, but have picked up a couple used and a couple refurb (B&H), no problems at all. But I buy these as secondary lenses, not for mainstream lenses... Like my Defocus Control lens. Something I will not use often. JD

Last edited:

Cowleystjames

I've bought both my 70-200 F2.8 VRII and 24-70 F2.8, second hand. But only after seeing them in the flesh and firing a good few shots through. Wouldn't dream of buying one unseen.

chris9

I think the most important is that you need to see the item if it is used. Otherwise it is hard to imagine whether it is worth buying.