A couple from the way back time machine

STM

Both were taken with the FE-2 and I am sure the 24mm AIS Nikkor either in either the winter of 1984 or 1985, probably 1985. Film was Plus-X rated at 64 instead of 125. The one of Mt Ranier was taken not long after sunset using a 25A filter to darken the sky even further. I may have used it on the sunset as well, but I cannot remember. You forget the minor details after almost 30 years!

The sunset was printed to 11x14 and has hung in my living room in various houses for almost 30 years as well!

dmc

Nice shots. Like you, I am also from the Jurassic Age of photography, a much simpler time IMHO. Thanks for sharing.

STM

Nice shots. Like you, I am also from the Jurassic Age of photography, a much simpler time IMHO. Thanks for sharing.

Simpler and without the help of any editing programs. If it needed fixing, you fixed it in the darkroom. If you couldn't fix it in the darkroom you either n(1) lived with it or (2) figured out how to fix in the camera for next time. I honestly think people were better photographers back then simply because YOU HAD TO BE.

STM

Here is another one from that period and I do remember quite a bit about this one. I climbed up onto this ridge before sunrise and got set up. I remember doing a quick scan of the scene with the spot meter and I immediately knew I was in for a tough one. The range of zones was already wide between foreground and distant and I knew it would be worse once the sun hit the snow. I decided to expose for the foreground, putting it into zone IV to retain detail and then depending on how bright the snow was either give the negative N-1 or N-2 development to prevent the snow from getting totally blown out. Once the sun had come up over the ridge I had my answer, N-2. The pulled processing did increase the grain in the sky, but you can't get something for nothing, not with film anyway. The image on the monitor does not do the final print justice, but then again I have yet to find a monitor that does. My monitor does not hold the detail in the forground nearly as well as the print does. This one is also hanging on my wall, but in 16x20.

What I found the most unique about Mt. Ranier is that if you were to view it from all 4 points of the compass, it would look like an entirely different mountain. In this case I was south, looking north. The first image, taken from Alder lake, was north looking south.

Last edited: