"Smeared Sky IMage Stacking"

BackdoorArts

Some amazing photos created from multiple timelapse stacked images (think "What if I made a picture instead of a video with these?")

Smeared Skies Made from Hundreds of Stacked Photographs by Matt Molloy | Colossal

molloy-1.jpg

molloy-3.jpg

Moab Man

I know that photography is an art, but I have a hard time calling it that. Honestly, I call photography more of a skill - a craftsmanship. This is not to cut down what we all love so much, but it just doesn't fit in my minds eye as art. (opening a can of worms) Kind of like golf, to me it's a skill, but not a sport. BUT, that first picture screams ART to me. I am blown away at how it connected two vastly different points in my head, the craftsmanship of photography and the art of a painting, all in one. Thank you for sharing it.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Is this a long exposure or multiple exposures? Or do you know? The drummer photo, is what I'm referring to. I read the shpeal on the sky photos. Somehow that's 1000's of layers although I can't see why.

BackdoorArts

Is this a long exposure or multiple exposures? Or do you know? The drummer photo, is what I'm referring to. I read the shpeal on the sky photos. Somehow that's 1000's of layers although I can't see why.

Like the others they are multiple exposures. Looking at the drum sticks in various positions I would imagine the exposures are no longer than 1/100 sec, and perhaps faster than that. Cymbals will sway on their stands, so all you need is three or four positions to get what they have with those. The rest is just the drummer's body in a bunch of different positions.

Moab Man, I agree with you on the real merging of photography and pure art here. It's truly painting with light.