Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G Vs. Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D

SJD

Please help me understand the difference between the two lenses. I see that Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G is more expensive. Can someone explain what made it a better lens compared to the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D ?

Epoc

The G version has a focus motor so it will AF on bodies that have no AF drive like the d3000 and d5000 series. The D version has no focus motor and will not AF on these bodies. Also the D has an aperture ring allowing you to set the aperture on the lens. The G does not have this. The G is newer and reportedly has the better optics.

SJD

Hi Epoc, apart from the technical assistance/convenience i get from G version. So long as i know how to manage the numbers, will there be a difference image quality ?

My camera is D5200.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Epoc, apart from the technical assistance/convenience i get from G version. So long as i know how to manage the numbers, will there be a difference image quality ?

My camera is D5200.

There are plenty comparisons on the net about this. Some say the newer G is worth the difference but most say "if you've already have the D, don't bother". I don't have the G and wonder myself if the switch would be worth the bucks. What I like about the D compared to the G is just the size. I like this tiny 50 D.

SJD

Final question on this post.. If I have a choice between "Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D" and "Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G", then probably f/1.4D is worth it right ? because both those are going around the same price range.

My target is exceptional quality portraits and bokeh pictures.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Final question on this post.. If I have a choice between "Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D" and "Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G", then probably f/1.4D is worth it right ? because both those are going around the same price range.

My target is exceptional quality portraits and bokeh pictures.

As long as you are aware that your 5200 won't be able to auto-focus with the D lens. And believe me, manual focus with a 1.4 lens is tricker than you think until you replace the ground glass with something from Katzeye or focusingscreen.com.

Epoc

My camera is D5200.

I can't give any personal experience as I only own the G. But there is a fair amount of opinion on the net that say the G is optically better. I am very happy with the 1.8G. It is tack sharp and produces superb images. I agree with Marcel, manually focussing at 1.4 could be interesting. No doubt there are people doing it successfully, but I reckon you'd want to have your method down pat.

stmv

any of the 50mm are fine lens, kinda hard to mess up a 50mm prime. Advice is good here, that since you own the 5200 to stick with the G lens.

each 50 mm has some minor effects.

50mm 1.2.. brightest of the bright, a bit less soft, dreamy look ... can still buy new.. sweet
50 mm 1.4 sharp enough, nicer bokeh
50 mm 1.8 sharp sharp,, decent bokeh, cheap cheap.
50mm 2.0 really really sharp,, love this lens..

50 mm 1.8 G.. really sharp (so I hear), decent bokeh

unfortunately, only the last lens is really compatible with your 5200, that is one reason why the 7000 and 7200 is so sweet, can meter and autofocus all those old glass or older AF designs.

skene

I'm at that point as well where I really really really want to try out the 50mm 1.8G, but I already own the 50mm 1.8D... I love the 1.8D because of the size and weight and AF is not a problem as I use a D90. I just love the way the lens looks itself and I almost want it because of how the bokeh looks in some of those pictures.
When viewing images of the 2, you can see minute differences in how it captures light. The 1.8D will look less round and almost polygon shaped where the 1.8G the light is a bit more round.
While I'm sure it's not the end all... it's helping :)

RON_RIP

Thanks to all for their imput. I will probably go with the D version since I have a D7000 and do not need the built in motor.