Best Manual Prime Lenses for Bokeh and Portraits (probably used lenses)

SJD

I have been doing some research on prime lenses and it seems that best ones are completely out of my budget.. I'm very interested in Bokeh and portrait pictures... I was wondering that best that could fit me is to find a old manual nikon lens that fits my budget (i do understand the risk of buying a used one)

What would you suggest as best lenses for this category... what models are compatible with my D5200

This is one i found... (Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 Ai Lens)

Any other suggestions are of great help.

Horoscope Fish

I have been doing some research on prime lenses and it seems that best ones are completely out of my budget.. I'm very interested in Bokeh and portrait pictures... I was wondering that best that could fit me is to find a old manual nikon lens that fits my budget (i do understand the risk of buying a used one)

What would you suggest as best lenses for this category... what models are compatible with my D5200

If you want a single prime lens, specifically, and just for portrait work I'd suggest the 85mm f/1.8G since you're on a budget or maybe the 135mm f/2.8 AIS. Either would work really well I think. Ignore the link... I hate how this site does that.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

It was mentioned for a 85mm f1.8G. There is a used one for sale here ... BUT I susopect that it is above your budget and the other item to consider with an 85, if portraits are indoors, can you move back far enough??? I sometimes have trouble getting back enough for my 50 and switch to my 35..

You will find many older lenses are likely compatible but you will have to manually focus with your camera. If that is not an issue, your options are wider...

What is your budget??? If people know your budget they can make better recomendations..

Pat in NH

SJD

hi HF, thanks for the reply. I'd also like to know what other specs of the lens i should be concerned about like "AF", "Ai", "AF-S", "DX", "FX" ... and what are their implications with respect to cost ?

If you can be specific about exact lens, i would be really glad.

SJD

I'm looking for something below $200. Looking for lenses that gives great results for Bokeh/Portrait pictures.

RockyNH_RIP

NEW, the 50mm 1.8G is designed for your camera with autofocus and good bokeh and runs $217 on Amazon
(They also have a 1.8D which would be 50mm manual focus

NEW THE 35MM 1.8g also is a dx, designed for your camera with the autofcus SWM and it can be purchased on Amazon for $197.

You can likely get either of the G versions in used or Refurb from places like Adorama and save a few dollars.

(Obviously my data is all sourced in the USA)

Pat in NH

SkvLTD

Don't be afraid of older lenses though. They don't fringe wide open, they're pro-level sharp, you just have to learn how to use the whole aperture in full manual.

50mm or 85mm f/2 or higher D, E, H would all fit your bill quite nicely.

SkvLTD

Though ~202mm field of view won't be all that for portraits. 50 or 85mm max on a 5200, unless he wants to frame across a whole house.