best lens for d3000

Donovant620

I own a d3000 and I am wondering if there is another lens that I can utilize for my needs or if getting another dslr would be the way to go. I own a 50mm1.4 and a zoom lens, and the kit lens. I mainly photograph people, children, events and some home decor. Any feedback would be great! Thank you so much

SkvLTD

50 1.4 which? Which zooms lens? What do you feel your arsenal lacks?

But to sum it all up- 800mm AF-S Nikkor. The $19000 one. Definitely best, on any Nikon ever.

Donovant620

Sorry, I should have been more specific. lol

I have the af-s nikkor 55-200mm as my zoom. I like this lens, I just tend to like sharper images and this lens seems to give me a lot of shake, when doing standing photos I use my tripod but for children that is just not the case.

my kit lens is af-s nikkor 18-55mm. I dont know much about this lens, like I said I really favor close ups which led me to get my af-s nik 50mm which I love, although I am still learning how to use it. basically I am looking for a portrait lens. I'm finding that I am not as happy with my photos as I want to be... could this mean that a new camera might be the solution?

Thank you very much for your suggestion skvltd

Sorry, I should have been more specific. lol

I have the af-s nikkor 55-200mm as my zoom. I like this lens, I just tend to like sharper images and this lens seems to give me a lot of shake,

The 55-200mm can be quite sharp if shot correctly. What shutter speed are you using when you shoot.

Just getting a new camera or a new lens will not get you better photos. You have to learn to use what you have first. Post some pictures using the 55-200 and include the EXIF data.

Donovant620

It is absolutely sharp when I am using my tripod, but I guess I am having trouble when I am not using it. I'd love to share some photos - where do I do this? Can I share them here?

Donovant620

I have never shot with a wide angle lens.. I am interested in the pros and cons of this type of lens as well, I have seen shots taken with them and I like the way they turn out

Yes, Make sure to resize them to 1000px on the long side. Much bigger than that and they will not load. Just click on the picture icon and follow the directions.

Capture.JPG

Be sure to include the shooting info like the aperture, shutter speed and ISO if you can. Upload an example of a bad photo. It sounds like you are shooting at to low a shutter speed. Will be easy to tell once we see an example.

Here is an example of the 55-200 that I shot yesterday

d5100_02440.jpg

can get much sharper

SkvLTD

To get truly sharper though, you're either looking at ~$1000-1200 for a modern pro lens OR having to use full full manual oldies that were pro grade in their era.

I'd honestly just bump up the shutter speed, use VR, and maybe do some forearm exercises to get more steady.

piperbarb

I have a D3000 and the same 55-200mm zoom lens. My lens is NOT the VR version. I also have a D7000 which I love, too. I love the D3000 as a daily carry around camera with that lens. I am able to put it in my purse so it is always ready.

Softness with this lens is something I have experienced also. It is not the lens, but the operator. Be sure you are using a fast enough shutter speed, at least 1/200 or faster. For most of my daytime shots, I have a lot of success with using that shutter speed or faster, and I have the ISO set at 200. I would also suggest that, if possible, use some additional support to limit the amount of camera shake. You'd be surprised how a few things like that can make your photos go from "just okay" to very sharp and crisp. I have taken a lot of really nice photos with my D3000 over the past 3+ years.

adam500

I have a D5000 and my go to lens for everyday outdoors is the Nikon 16-85mm. I like have the 16mm on the short side and very rarely need to extend past 85mm. Now for sports this may be a different story. I find the VRII in the 16-85 to be one of the best on any Nikon lens. I am able to get great shots hand held at 1/20s. If your 55-200 is not the VR version you may want to look into getting one.

As mentioned above try increasing the shutter speed.

Adam