Continuos shooting with wireless remote

SilanTra ZaiDi

Hi there...

i just played with my D7000... i had an old nikon ML-L3 rc unit.. while taking a few photos, i wonder can we take multiple shots with single press on the remote?? noob question...

TQ

grandpaw

Hi there...

i just played with my D7000... i had an old nikon ML-L3 rc unit.. while taking a few photos, i wonder can we take multiple shots with single press on the remote?? noob question...

TQ

As far as I know you cannot do this. It works just like when you shoot multiple shots using the shutter release button. You will have to press it for each picture that you take, whether you choose the two or three exposures option.

Horoscope Fish

Hi there...

TQ
I don't see how you could with just the ML-L3. In the Release Method menu "Continuous" and "Wireless Remote" are two separate options, and you can't choose two items from that one menu forcing you to choose between "Continuous" and using the remote.

grandpaw

I gave you the answer for multiple exposures and Horoscope Fish gave you the answer for multiple "burst" shots or continuous shooting. The answer to both is NO YOU CAN'T do it.

carguy

Good question.

Along these lines, how do you stop the camera from returning to single shot mode from remote? Is there a timer that returns it after X amount of time of 'inactivity' with a remote?

Horoscope Fish

... At least with the Vello I have. It also does intervals and bulb lock.
Gawd how I love my Vello wireless remote!

carguy said:
Along these lines, how do you stop the camera from returning to single shot mode from remote? Is there a timer that returns it after X amount of time of 'inactivity' with a remote?
Well if I understand your question correctly, using the remote is a choice in the menu. Your camera will continue to use the remote, and only the remote, until you select a different release option in the same menu. So say I put my D5100 into "2s Delayed Remote" mode; it will now ONLY operate off the wireless remote, with a 2 second delay, until I change that option in the menu to something like "Single" or "Continuous" which returns control of releasing the shutter back to the shutter-button.

Last edited:

carguy

Using the Nikon wireless remote with my D40 I believe it has reverted off of the remote setting itself. Ill do some testing

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

SilanTra ZaiDi

thanks guys for all the replies...so i cant take multiple burst mode using wireless remote...
but is there anyway i can do it... i recalled that using bracketing with 3 frames interval, and then save as U1 or U2 then take the shot by pressing the shutter release button can take multiple shot (provided Ch or CL is selected)
can we play with the setting and save it into U1/U2 and selected the remote button ..will it do the same (if we can find the right setting..??)

thanks for all the replies....

BackdoorArts

You have to set up the bracketing to work with the timer function to do bursts. You may be able to do a fixed number of burst shots using the remote to activate the self timer and then setting the timer function to do multiple consecutive exposures (bracketed or otherwise), but you will get a minimum 0.5 second delay between them (i.e. about 2 fps) and only that fixed number of shots before reactivation is required.

SilanTra ZaiDi

You have to set up the bracketing to work with the timer function to do bursts. You may be able to do a fixed number of burst shots using the remote to activate the self timer and then setting the timer function to do multiple consecutive exposures (bracketed or otherwise), but you will get a minimum 0.5 second delay between them (i.e. about 2 fps) and only that fixed number of shots before reactivation is required.

yeah...i figure somebody will come out with this...i havent tried this method..and my D7000 is not with me currently... so how do we do with the setting....

first set the bracketing for 3 frame..

save it... and then select the remote control menu?

i hope finally we can do this...

thanks bro

film man

I would think that if you set the mode dial to CL or CH with the remote activated it would take multiple shots if you hold the button on the remote down. I have only had my camera for a couple of weeks and really haven't had a chance to mess with it so I don't know if it will work or not.

BackdoorArts

Are you trying to do this specifically for bracketing? And are you using the remote control because you have to, or to avoid camera shake?

I just stared at my D7000 and, unfortunately, there is no way to set off the timer remotely. The remote will only do 2 second delay, immediate capture, or 2-step with mirror up. So, there's no way to instantiate an automatic set of 2 or more exposures, bracketed or otherwise, using the ML-L3. You would have to fire off shots individually.

There are wireless remotes that will do this, but they are 2-piece units that are "wired" in that there is a sensor connected to the camera (hot shoe mount) that is then wired to the camera via a cable, and then a wireless remote (RF and IR available) that will trigger it. These act just as if the shutter button is depressed and do not rely on what the remote settings are in the menus. So you can put the camera in any mode (S, CL, CH, Q, Timer, Mup, etc. - except remote) and fire away remotely.

BackdoorArts

I would think that if you set the mode dial to CL or CH with the remote activated it would take multiple shots if you hold the button on the remote down. I have only had my camera for a couple of weeks and really haven't had a chance to mess with it so I don't know if it will work or not.

With the ML-L3 there is a separate mode specifically for the remote that bypasses the Mode selectore.

SilanTra ZaiDi

Are you trying to do this specifically for bracketing? And are you using the remote control because you have to, or to avoid camera shake?

I just stared at my D7000 and, unfortunately, there is no way to set off the timer remotely. The remote will only do 2 second delay, immediate capture, or 2-step with mirror up. So, there's no way to instantiate an automatic set of 2 or more exposures, bracketed or otherwise, using the ML-L3. You would have to fire off shots individually.

There are wireless remotes that will do this, but they are 2-piece units that are "wired" in that there is a sensor connected to the camera (hot shoe mount) that is then wired to the camera via a cable, and then a wireless remote (RF and IR available) that will trigger it. These act just as if the shutter button is depressed and do not rely on what the remote settings are in the menus. So you can put the camera in any mode (S, CL, CH, Q, Timer, Mup, etc. - except remote) and fire away remotely.

Hi Jake,

i'm trying to do a few HDR with me in the photo and got me thinking on how to frame my self in with a few set of exposure... i have a third party shutter release remote cable that will work for the setup, however, in this case, in wont be possible... i just got this in my mind... if it cannot be achieved, then i will get somebody to press the shutter for me. LOL....

anyway, like i said, i'm just new with my D7000...still havent master every single tricks the D7000 has to offer and i thought if this is possible. IIRC, with my old D80, i can use the Ml-L3 with burst mode and take multipe shot at my desired exposure n speed. and since the mode selector button has incorporate the remote, CL, CH , MUP etc, we cannot choosed any of these mode together... so i thought why not playing with the bracketing ( i just new also to bracketing method...)

BackdoorArts

Hi Jake,

i'm trying to do a few HDR with me in the photo and got me thinking on how to frame my self in with a few set of exposure... i have a third party shutter release remote cable that will work for the setup, however, in this case, in wont be possible... i just got this in my mind... if it cannot be achieved, then i will get somebody to press the shutter for me. LOL....

You should be able to do that with the regular timer function provided it doesn't take you forever to frame yourself. Just set your bracketing as you'd like, then in the timer options set the delay time appropriately, set the number of exposures to 3 (max for the D7000 bracket) or 6 or 9 if you'd like to give yourself a shot at 2 or 3 sets in one firing, and then set the time between shots (1/2 sec is probably most appropriate). If you do multiple sets simultaneously you can conceivably choose your set of best 3 consecutive shot from anywhere within the timed window. In other words, if your series goes 0/-2/+2 then a series of 9 shots would look like this...

+2
+2
+2

...so starting with any shot between 1 & 7 and taking the next 2 will give you a 3 shot bracketed series, either 0/-2/+2 or -2/+2/0 or +2/0/-2.

​Make sense?

SilanTra ZaiDi

You should be able to do that with the regular timer function provided it doesn't take you forever to frame yourself. Just set your bracketing as you'd like, then in the timer options set the delay time appropriately, set the number of exposures to 3 (max for the D7000 bracket) or 6 or 9 if you'd like to give yourself a shot at 2 or 3 sets in one firing, and then set the time between shots (1/2 sec is probably most appropriate). If you do multiple sets simultaneously you can conceivably choose your set of best 3 consecutive shot from anywhere within the timed window. In other words, if your series goes 0/-2/+2 then a series of 9 shots would look like this...

+2
+2
+2

...so starting with any shot between 1 & 7 and taking the next 2 will give you a 3 shot bracketed series, either 0/-2/+2 or -2/+2/0 or +2/0/-2.

​Make sense?

Hey Jake, thanks for the write ups... make sense to me but without my camera i cant really compute that inside my rusty brain... haha...
i will try once i get my camera this weekend... thanks anyway..i really appreciate it