Question on 3 reverse ring MACRO adapters

ABN Panzer

Looking at 3 reverse rings and have worked myself into a bit of confusion... actually more than a bit.

1) Understanding that my 18-55mm Kit lens is 52mm I am pretty safe at getting:
- Fotodiox 52mm Filter Thread Lens, Macro Reverse Ring Camera Mount Adapter for Nikon SLR Cameras

2) If I wanted to try reversing my 55-300, with an 58mm lens (Probably wrong terminology...) would this one work:
- Fotodiox 07LAnk58r RB2A 58MM Filter Thread Lens, Macro Reverse Ring Camera Mount Adapter for Nikon ?

- Is this even a worthwhile pursuit? Reversing a 55-300? I think my understanding is that in reversing a lens... I would actually get MORE magnification at the smaller end of the spectrum: 18. Can someone confirm/deny/educate me on this. Only thing worse than my camera knowledge is my internet research knowledge...

3) I ran across a 58 - 52 mm adapter ring.
- Fotodiox 52mm - 58mm, 52-58mm Macro Close-up Reverse Ring, Anodized Black Metal Ring, for Nikon
-Any idea what I could expect as far as magnification combining the 55-300 with the 18-55?

I don't mind simply buying them and testing them out ( they are inexpensive) but I would rather have a bit of expectation management before possibly being extremely disappointed.

Again, Thanks for anything you could offer. I did look around the net, however I value the opinions/thoughts here more.

Last edited:

Rexer John

I wouldn't bother with the longer lens, 18mm will give the biggest magnification but it will be a soft focus.
Bear in mind you have to shoot full manual ansd you only have contol of aperture by phsically moving the tab, You can use a blob of blue tack to but make sure you get the full blob out when you are finished doing macro. Dont just pull the blutac off, open the aperture first and the blutack will stay in one piece.
​A prime gives very sharp focus and the 35mm 1.8 is also a 52mm filter thread.