How would I know its a Micro lens from title

SJD

I'm quite new to lenses, can someone please let me know if there is an indication on the "Lens Name" that states whether its a Micro lens or not ? Will the name always say that its "Micro" ? (I always look at Prime lenses and wonder whether its micro or not)

also how would i determine how much of magnification that it generates by reading the title of it (Eg : Nikon 105mm AF Micro).

What are the most important aspects to look at when buying one ?

SJD

Thanks... as i can figureout the zoom on telephoto, how can i know the magnification on Micro by looking at its description ?

Watoh

Well all lens have their stated focal length in their description in mm i.e AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D. Relating that too zoom is a little more complex, if i'm not mistaken on a full frame camera 35mm is considered zero zoom, so I assume 70mm is x2 zoom etc etc.

The favoured Micro lens tend to be 60mm or 105mm.. above this get very expensive.

SJD

Thanks ... If I'm to get a really closeup picture of a bug. I suppose 105mm will give me higher magnification than the 60mm right ?

Are the Sigma or Tamron lenses fall far below the power of Nikkor or they are acceptable.

Rexer John

The longer the focal length, the further you can be from your subject. It has no bearing on how big the critter is in the viewfinder.
A true macro should be 1:1 meaning the size of the focused subject is the same size as the image projected onto your sensor.

Watoh

Thanks ... If I'm to get a really closeup picture of a bug. I suppose 105mm will give me higher magnification than the 60mm right ?

No.. but with a 105mm you can be further away from said bug, which is an advantage.

Basicially with a Micro lens you can shoot at a ratio of 1:1 with either 60mm or 105mm. But with 105mm you have 2 advantages, you can be further away, so the bug does not fly/jump away and it is easier not to block your light as you are not so close. With a 60mm you do need to be close to focus at 1:1 ratio.

Are the Sigma or Tamron lenses fall far below the power of Nikkor or they are acceptable.

That i cant answer for Micro lens.. but i know some the Tamron telephoto lens get reviews that say they are equal to inequivalent Nikkor ones..but someone with more experience will have to chime in on this subject.

Interesting this because all the lensed I can find in europe are marked MACRO not MICRO maybe its an american term that Nikon have adopted as US is the biggest market ..certainly Sigma dont use that term.

whatever the lens a set of extension tubes will enable small objects to be photographed.

Watoh

Nikon uses Micro as its term for Macro.. stupid i think, but i believe all Nikkor macro lens are called Micro.. everyone else uses the correct term macro. Go figure.

Rexer John

whatever the lens a set of extension tubes will enable small objects to be photographed.

Or you could use a reversing ring like I did here.

This shot with a 35mm reversed.
DSC_2692.jpg

This shot with kit 18-55 set to 18mm and reversed.
DSC_2698.jpg

piperbarb

As others have said, Nikon designates its macro lenses by the name "micro-Nikkor." For the 55mm and 105mm, at closest focus, the ratio is 1:1. The ratio, 1:1, means that at closest focus, the image on the film/sensor/whatever is the same size as the actual object you are photographing. The advantage of the 105mm over the 55 or 60, is, as others have said, you do not have to be on top of your subject. You can be farther away. It makes it easier when using additional lighting, such as flash, or a ring-flash.

Below is an example of some flowers I took yesterday using the 105mm. I used the on-camera flash as a fill flash. The image was cropped somewhat. Here is the information I posted on my project 365 thread regarding this image: I used my trusty AF 105mm on the D7000. Settings: ISO 200, f/11, 1/60th, on-camera flash. I did crop the photos a little, but that was it.

33292d1366325438t-piperbarbs-2013-project-365-108-glory-snow-130418-06-cropped_01.jpg

I hope that helps you. :)

WayneF

The term Macro technically means larger than life, specifically an image larger than 1:1 magnification. Very few of the lens marked Macro can do this (without additional extension). Nikon uses the term Micro, meaning up to 1:1, and they can focus closely to do 1:1, so it is the technically precise term. Some lenses marked Macro do not even approach 1:1.... (marketing)... much less exceed it.

If you want to see actual Macro work, look here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/

So, there is a huge difference in actual Micro lenses that do focus to 1:1 magnification, and those more like regular lenses, which just happen to focus slightly closer than normal (but still far from 1:1).

1:1 means the image on the sensor is the same size as real life. If the object is 1/2 inch tall, its image on the sensor is also 1/2 inch. This made more sense with film, which we could examine on film. Said another way, if the digital sensor is 12mm tall, then at 1:1 size, the lens will focus closely enough so that a 12mm tall object will just fill it (which is how you prove 1:1 capability).

Focal length does increase magnification, AT THE SAME DISTANCE. 105mm magnifies 105/60 = 1.75x as much as a 60mm (the telephoto effect, enlarges distant subject) - when camera is at the same distance. However, Micro lenses can be used at the same same 1:1 magnification. This means the 60mm lens will be much closer than the 105mm then (because shorter does not magnify as much) - but both can be 1:1, which is Micro. Nikon Micro means the lens will focus as closely as necessary to show a 1:1 image size.

Not all close up work is done at 1:1. A table top scene for example, a scene perhaps 18 inches wide. The 105mm will have to be back near twice as far as a 60mm, maybe 7 or 8 feet back, sometimes not possible in a small room. But the longer lens is great for 1:1 work, allowing more working distance in front of the lens (maybe 6 or 7 inches instead of only a couple of inches). It is a 105mm telephoto lens after all. However, only a couple of inches in front of a 60mm at 1:1 can block the light, the lens in the way of the light.

Last edited:

Watoh

I won't argue over your great post other than to say macro actually just means large scale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

WayneF

Most word meanings of Macro are "VERY large", which certainly implies larger than life. Depends on how precise you want to be. Nikon instead defers, and uses term Micro, meaning up to life size, which I believe to be very precise. Meanings do get corrupted, but this has been common knowledge in photography for many decades.

evan447

also, be aware that a lot of makers put a macro function on their zoom lenses. this does not mean that they will give 1;1 magnification. often far from it!