I believe I've finally hit the wall on my D600

BackdoorArts

You know, the wall between patient and pissed? I'm there.

For the record, my D600 has been with Nikon for a total of 30 days (and still counting) across two service visits for this problem. 24 of those days have been spent with the camera repair in "Parts Hold" status. I've been rather understanding about the whatever the issue is that's causing this, whether it's a leaky or (and?) degrading shutter mechanism or what. But with this being the camera's second trip, made within 14 days of the initial repair, I would have hoped for some type of expedited service. No, I'm not a professional, and I have other options, but they don't know that. Every person who invested two grand in their product should expect more.

So, today, phone calls will be made. Likely angry phone calls, but I promise not to start out that way. I was going to bury this update in a previous post but decided that it might just be time for me to stop playing nice about this issue and start making the noise it may just deserve. Heck, bloggers quoted me when I ranted about the D7100 buffer issue. Maybe I'll get some traction here?

Nikon, if you're reading, I am a big fan of your cameras, and of this one in particular. I've invested a huge chunk of funds in your equipment in the last 26 months ... far more than your average hobbiest, I am sure. I've stepped up to the plate - when are you?! I understand things happen, mistakes are made and sometimes you have to come back with your tail between your legs and make things right. I waited patiently for 3 weeks the first time you tried to do that, knowing that I'm not the only one. Having to do it a second time is unacceptable to begin with, but to stick me at the back of the queue is ridiculous.

Watoh

You'd have thought they would have replaced it! Sounds like they should have. How long did you have the camera before it went in the 1st time?

BackdoorArts

Bought the camera in early December and sent it off to Nikon 3 weeks after they acknowledged the issue after hearing that they weren't just cleaning the sensor but also replacing the shutter (I'd already wet cleaned the sensor 3 times). They replaced the shutter after a 10 day parts wait and sent it back, total time out of hand was 21 days. 10 days later I see the same tell tale spots and what looks like a little chunk of debris, contact them and speak to someone personally, send reference images and they tell me they will ask for it to be expedited. That was Saturday, April 6. It was shipped out on Monday, April 8, received the 9th and has been in parts hold status since the 10th.

Watoh

I feel your pain! That sucks.

Just for your info; My local camera store told me Nikon were also applying some sort of 'tape' all around the mirror box (in multiple areas) to keep the debris from entering the the area. The debris was from an unnamed part that suffered issues of contamination at manufacture. But who knows!

GeeAirMo

I feel your pain! I love Nikon, but this issue on the D600 is completely ridiculous! Keep us posted and hopefully Nikon will do their part to make this right for you and all the other D600 owners!

stmv

this sounds enough to make the D600 go onto a buyer beware list! and worst, will ruin the future used camera market for 600s, how would you bid in the future without knowing you are getting a dud, and or the old repair is failing.

I mean, if Nikon is doing what we call spit ball engineering (tape!) how robust are these going to be down the road?

I would vote for either 7100 and or saving up for the D800.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I hear you Jake. I just sent my D800E to Nikon for the second time buy with different issues. Since I live overseas, it takes between 3 to 4 weeks before my equipment is returned back to me. The first time I sent my camera was for calibration and this time, the camera was draining my battery too fast.

It is a little inconvenient but I am ok with it since everything is being done under warranty and my experience have been ok with Nikon USA since they usually return my camera, lens or flash in like new condition.

I hope the technicians will be able to resolve the main issue with your camera.

Eye-level

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think this one is going to hurt them. Canon will retake the crown I bet everyone in the market for a cheap entry level FX camera will now buy the 6D instead...

BackdoorArts

I've confirmed with Nikon that my camera is listed as a "Rush Repair", but I have not been able to get an assessment of when the repair will actually take place. They have promised me an answer "within 24 hours, not including weekends", so we'll see when that is. To their credit, when I called about my first repair I had answers by the end of the day.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I sure don't like the Nikon way of dealing with their customers for repairs. It seems that once they do receive the camera or lenses, they go undercover. It's almost impossible to know where they are at and when we can expect the repaired product back.

On the other hand, this dust issue with the D600. I have it and I'm just not going to send my camera for repairs "yet". I clean it once in a while (rocket blaster) and dry swab twice so far. One thing is that in "normal shooting" situations, the problem does not exist. I know that if I'm going to do HDR and there is a lot of sky, I'm going to run into a problem or if I want to shoot at f22 I'll see it. But I've yet to find a situation where I wasn't able to remove the dust artifacts with post processing.

​This has been my experience so far and I'll se how it develops on the long run before the warranty expires. But the sensor and the camera combination is awesome!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Jake, your frustration certainly is understandable. Since Nikon has been aware of the oil and dust spot problems for a while AND has established a remedy, you'd think it would be resolved the first time around--although whether their current remedy is ideally the correct solution has yet to be determined.

Hang in there--yes certainly easier said than done. As a D600 owner, I appreciate hearing about the process you are going through with Nikon so thank you for sharing the information.

Like Marcel, if I encounter this problem with my D600 (exchanged the first one), I am apt to wait until right near the end of the warranty before addressing it with Nikon. I think I'd rather clean the sensor myself unless the problem becomes too drastic. Hopefully by then Nikon will have it resolved completely. Please keep us posted! :)

eli

So, Jake, your problems with Nikon finalized my decision not to purchase a 600, despite the quality of the camera excluding
the oil/dust issue. I now have to consider more seriously whether i stay with my 7000 or move over to Canon. I simply cannot
invest in the products of a company that seems not to correct widespread problems with that product. I have been generally
satisfied with my 7000, though there is the focus issue at times. But that wasn't so bad. However, to spend $2000 and not get
a well manufactured product is too terrible a price to pay for equipment that can be provided by another company. It is time
for me to take a trip to a manhattan superstore, price out my equipment, and look at the 6D and 5Dmark iii. You have my permission
to refer to my post to Nikon when you speak to them again. Tell them they should know they are losing clients - clients who purchase
expensive cameras, and the lenses to match! I hope you at least have your camera returned in perfect working order, with normal
dust issues and nothing more. Good luck. I think you have been very patient with Nikon.

Mfrankfort

Best of luck with a quick turn-around. I'm leaving tomorrow for my cruise, and was planning on sending my camera in after I got back, but after hearing your horror stories, I don't know what I want to do. Oh Jake... best of luck my friend.

RockyNH_RIP

Best of luck with a quick turn-around. I'm leaving tomorrow for my cruise, and was planning on sending my camera in after I got back, but after hearing your horror stories, I don't know what I want to do. Oh Jake... best of luck my friend.

Have fun on the cruise!

Pat in NH

VectorZ

Keep us posted! I'm on my third D600 now and I imagine I'll be sending mine in for repair sooner rather than later. Very disappointing.