ML-L3 setting

12blackgt

Banned
I've had my D7100 for about a week. I love it! I traded in a D90 that I also loved. The D90 was a hard act to follow, but the D7100 has done it. I just want to make sure my D7100 is working as it's supposed to so I have a question for other users. In the shotting settings my ML-L3 setting will not stay on past one use. Every time I want to use the ML-L3 I have to go into the settings and turn it on even though I have previously turned it on. My D90 all I had to do was turn it on once and it stayed on. I won't use the ML-L3 very often so it's not a big deal. I just want to know if my ML-L3 setting is functioning as designed? Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
I have the D5100 but I would bet your camera is set up the same way. In the custom setting menu there is a timers setting. In mine I can set the remote to shut off in 1 min, 5min, 10min or 15min

12blackgt

Banned
No that's not the setting I'm referring to, but nevermind anyway. I'm suffering from false memory syndrome. I did have to put my D90 in remote mode everytime I wanted to use the ML-L3. I just didn't have to go into the menu I held down a button and rotated a knob. With the D7100 I'll have to get used to using the info button in live view to turn on remote mode. Moderators feel free to delete this thread I've answered my own question.

RockyNH_RIP

For the record, don is correct on the 5100. There is a timer which controls how long it remains in that "remote" mode. By setting it to 5 minutes. it will remain in that mode for that long without activity... I have to believe the 7000 will allow something similar. If you do NOT set that timer... it will revert after a minute or less.

Pat in NH

12blackgt

Banned
Understood! I bump up against that setting all the time when I'm trying to take a family portrait and I can't gather the family in less time than it takes the camera to timeout. And then of course I expect to have to reset the timer. That said I wish Nikon would make the camera to where it would just take a one time enabling and then the camera would be permanently ready for the ML-L3. In fact I really don't understand the logic of even having the setting. It should just be permanently on. Can you imagine having to go into your TV or Blu-ray player's settings every time to make them aware you want to use the remote?

RockyNH_RIP

Understood! I bump up against that setting all the time when I'm trying to take a family portrait and I can't gather the family in less time than it takes the camera to timeout. And then of course I expect to have to reset the timer. That said I wish Nikon would make the camera to where it would just take a one time enabling and then the camera would be permanently ready for the ML-L3. In fact I really don't understand the logic of even having the setting. It should just be permanently on. Can you imagine having to go into your TV or Blu-ray player's settings every time to make them aware you want to use the remote?

I do not know how much difference it really makes (probably not much) but supposedly they do that to conserve battery if you forget to switch it out... I can only "assume" that it polls the sensors looking for the signal when switched on. I set mine to 10 minutes and unless I take a really long time, it does not switch off..

Have a great day!

Pat in NH

12blackgt

Banned
I tried that, but I still have to turn the ML-L3 setting on every time I want to use it. As I mentioned it was the same thing with my D90, but it was done without the menus.

Debs_

I have had my D7100 for 7 days now and I'm just now figuring out how to use the remote. The camera can be set to run with the remote for a max of 15 minutes but you have to set it in custom settings - timer and then choose how many minutes from there.

I need help setting the amount of time the shutter stays open using the ML-L3. I can't figure that out. Anyone know how I can adjust the time it stays open? I'll be shooting fireworks next week and I'd like to keep it open 3+ seconds.

Horoscope Fish

I have had my D7100 for 7 days now and I'm just now figuring out how to use the remote. The camera can be set to run with the remote for a max of 15 minutes but you have to set it in custom settings - timer and then choose how many minutes from there.

I need help setting the amount of time the shutter stays open using the ML-L3. I can't figure that out. Anyone know how I can adjust the time it stays open? I'll be shooting fireworks next week and I'd like to keep it open 3+ seconds.
You'll need to set the release mode to use the ML-L3 (obviously) and then shoot in "M"anual, using the Command Wheel and Exposure Compensation button to set the duration of the exposure to "3+" seconds. You can go up to a controlled 30 second exposure in camera, meaning without using a separate cable-release set up. There's "Bulb" mode as well of course, if you don't mind timing your exposure duration the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

Debs_

You'll need to set the release mode to use the ML-L3 (obviously) and then shoot in "M"anual, using the Command Wheel and Exposure Compensation button to set the duration of the exposure to "3+" seconds. You can go up to a controlled 30 second exposure in camera, meaning without using a separate cable-release set up. There's "Bulb" mode as well of course, if you don't mind timing your exposure duration the old fashioned way.

Thanks so much! I see it now!