Zenfolio

I have been looking at Zenfolio for posting my photos and for posting some projects that will be for sale. I do have a couple of questions for those who use this site.

1. Does anyone have any experience with any of the partners for printing / delivering prints. Integrated Partners | Zenfolio

2. Do I need the Premium Plan or will the Unlimited do? I am thinking The Premium Plan will be better.

3. Pros and Cons of Zenfolio

4. Also is the cost to me on par with other suppliers like this?

RockyNH_RIP

I have been looking at Zenfolio for posting my photos and for posting some projects that will be for sale. I do have a couple of questions for those who use this site.

1. Does anyone have any experience with any of the partners for printing / delivering prints. Integrated Partners | Zenfolio

2. Do I need the Premium Plan or will the Unlimited do? I am thinking The Premium Plan will be better.

3. Pros and Cons of Zenfolio

4. Also is the cost to me on par with other suppliers like this?

Don, I have it and am pleased... It really gives you a lot of options to custom tailor the look... (yes, you use their templates but there are plenty of customizing options that I think it has a more professional appearance than some.

I have used MPix and have been pleased with it. I did some prints just to see and they were prompt and good quality. I sent orders for portraits for my family at Xmas and have done 2 of my better photos enlarged and framed.

Cost: I think it is on a par or less than many - In my mind (again, my opinion for me) it offers the easiest and most tailorable for the money. I have looked at 3 or so since I got it that I saw ads for and sounded good... They were all more expensive... (Yes, you can get cheaper too!

Pros
Configures easily
has a professional look
you control who/what can download (if at all)
You create/adjust your price lists (as many as you want) and assign with collections are under each structure (I have a clienst folder and a price assigned to each of the 4 jobs I did...
You can upload to a directory or collections or assign photos to collections... for example:
I upload ALL up into a Hidden directory... I then created collections Nght, Scenic, Industrial, HDR etc... I then can just assign the photo to a collection or multiple (only one photo is created (the upload) The collections just reflect your assignments. I have a scenic in HDR. I can tag the photo to scenic, HDR, Favorites etc...)

Cons: To many price list options so is a little unwieldy to get started..
Most Recent Uploads was a bit bogus. I disable and created my own.

Thats about it for now... give mine a look and the pop back with more questions...

Pat in NH

Rick M

Easy to set up the site and high quality prints. The only downside is the "cost" from the printers are about 25% more than I can get from Nations. Spend the $10-12 on a domain name so you don't have to include theirs.

RockyNH_RIP

Easy to set up the site and high quality prints. The only downside is the "cost" from the printers are about 25% more than I can get from Nations. Spend the $10-12 on a domain name so you don't have to include theirs.

I agree with Rick on the Domain Name too.. I have yet to do that! Also, if you decide to go, there are discount codes out there (I think I found a $20 code.. (rick got more off than me!!)

Pat in NH

Last edited:
I agree with Rick on the Doamin Name too.. I have yet to do that! Also, if you decide to go, there are discount codes out there (I think I found a $20 code.. (rick got more off than me!!)

Pat in NH

I own about half a dozens domain names now so adding another is no problem.
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I use Godaddy for all my names. They have pretty good service and you are able to have full control over your name. Some places make you go through them to even change the DNS. The ones you really want to avoid are the Web host that give you a free name with your website. You have to renew through them and if you decide to drop their hosting to go somewhere else they might not let you have your domain name. I had to deal with that when I was the manager of a web-hosting company. We didn't do that but we had people moving to us that had problems getting their name back.
Buy your own name. IT is worth the 12 to 20 bucks to have full control.

Rick M

These are all great information since I am about to create one. Keep em coming! ;)

Zenfolio has info on how to link your domain name and new site (I was a total newb to this stuff and it helped). It is easiest to get the name first so you can tie them together while you set up your zen site.

Well I now have a Zenfolio account with custom name already pointed to it. Now it will take a couple of days to configure the page to get it to look like I want it to.

I will have questions. Stand By

Ruidoso Bill

I am confident you'll enjoy the account. I am in my second year with Zenfolio and love it, the custom domain is usually less akward than name.zenfolio.com. They recently raised the base prices a little so I will continue to watch it. One thing to remember is crop size and size selected by clients. Crop loose and advise your clients to manually crop if they select other than best fit. I have had issues with it a couple of times so far. I was on the Zenfolio user forum and asked how to instruct customers but thus far nothing has worked.

I bought the name, set up the Zenfolio and had the site live in less than 20 minutes. It is a little tricky but they do have a step by step guide to configuring the name at Godaddy. That make is a lot easier. I was more used to just setting the DNS to point to my webserver but this is a little different. The guide make it pretty easy to use.

Was able to set prices fairly fast using their defaults. I will play with those prices some as time goes by I am sure.

So far I am not real happy with the theme but I am still seeing what does what.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think I paid about $12 at godaddy for the domain

Ok, I am a total noob here. Please PM me a referral or promo code with godaddy.com. I'm about to sign up and create my own website then off to zenfolio.

What options do you suggest? For photo hosting and selling photos, I have in my temp shopping cart my domain but it is asking if I want a private domain registration, certified domain registration and search engine visibility. Are these recommended?

That's just for go daddy.com. I'll try the rest once I get some shut eyes.

Rick M

Ok, I am a total noob here. Please PM me a referral or promo code with godaddy.com. I'm about to sign up and create my own website then off to zenfolio.

What options do you suggest? For photo hosting and selling photos, I have in my temp shopping cart my domain but it is asking if I want a private domain registration, certified domain registration and search engine visibility. Are these recommended?

That's just for go daddy.com. I'll try the rest once I get some shut eyes.

I did not have a promo code for godaddy. Took out the invoice and paid $13.17 for ".com domain registration" no other extras

Last edited:

Rick M

As far as zenfolio promo, try doing a google search. You newbies really drive me crazy, do a little reasearch for crying out loud! :)