D800, MB-D12, and Tripod Use

jwstl

A question for those of you using the D800/e, MB-D12, and tripods. I need to buy an L-Plate and I'm curious if you keep the grip on when you put the D800 on a tripod. I'm thinking I'll keep the grip on to get the extra battery power for using the Live View despite the extra weight. Your thoughts?

crycocyon

Sure, I've used mine on a tripod (Manfrotto) but it will depend in part what kind of lens you want to put on it. It will be more stable with longer lenses without the grip (less pivot on account of the greater distance of the lens from the mount). But for short telephotos or smaller zooms it is fine.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
A question for those of you using the D800/e, MB-D12, and tripods. I need to buy an L-Plate and I'm curious if you keep the grip on when you put the D800 on a tripod. I'm thinking I'll keep the grip on to get the extra battery power for using the Live View despite the extra weight. Your thoughts?

The tripod is the key. The extra weight will add more stability to the tripod. I even hook my camera bag to keep my tripod anchored to the ground. I do not see any problem or issues in using a battery grip. Changing a battery only takes a few seconds anyway whether you are using a grip or not.