Wide Angle for FX

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am trying to decide on a wide angle lens for my D600 keeping the price under $1k. Currently my widest lens is a Nikon 20mm f/2.8 (the next lens up that I have is a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8). I would consider either giving my 20mm to my nephew or selling it if I get a zoom that covers that length. My use would be for landscape and architecture and I'm a pixel peeper. I'm open to any suggestions.

So far I've been looking at the Nikon AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, the Tokina 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX, the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX (not able to accept a front filter), and the Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Nikon With Focus Confirm Chip (not sure if it can accept a front filter).

What other suggestions or pros/cons do you have? Thanks for any help! :)

Rick M

I just got the new Nikon 18-35g and really like it. I have not had time to work with it much but I can say the center is extremely sharp any only a little soft in the extreme corners (all wide zooms suffer this to a degree). The build is prosumer, nice and light with snug zoom and focus rings. Resolution is very good and I think it will perform very well when some more in-depth tests come out. At $750 the price/quality ratio is excellent. I think this will hold me over until nikon wakes up and makes the 18mm 1.8g :)

stmv

also consider some of the used 16mm primes,, since you already have the 20,, not sure if 18 is enough gain to justify the expense, I would hold out for either a 15, 16 prime,, and or the 16-35 zoom.

I debate this topic too, and have decided to rent both the 14-24 and the 16-35 for a weekend, before making up mind.

funny,, but BorrowLens charges more to rent the new 18 zoom then the current 14-24, must be the law of supply and demand,, everybody is currious just how good this new lens is.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am trying to decide on a wide angle lens for my D600 keeping the price under $1k. Currently my widest lens is a Nikon 20mm f/2.8 (the next lens up that I have is a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8). I would consider either giving my 20mm to my nephew or selling it if I get a zoom that covers that length. My use would be for landscape and architecture and I'm a pixel peeper. I'm open to any suggestions.

So far I've been looking at the Nikon AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, the Tokina 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX, the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX (not able to accept a front filter), and the Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Nikon With Focus Confirm Chip (not sure if it can accept a front filter).

What other suggestions or pros/cons do you have? Thanks for any help! :)

I have not tried the 3rd party ultra wide zooms. The Nikon 18-35mm VR that Rick suggested fits your criteria of an ultra wide angle lens.

There are other options in the "used" market that you might be able to find such as the Nikon 20-35mm f2.8D or 17-35mm f2.8D as an example.

If you can squeeze a little more, get the 16-35mm f4 VRII which is another sharp lens.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm still on the fence about this although I'm not in any hurry to make a decision. stmv, I'm open to the option of a used lens, but I don't know where to find info about what lenses are available. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It would be nice if I could find a used Nikon 16-35mm for under $1k, but I doubt it would be anytime soon. At least I have the time to wait. Thanks for the input! I'm still open to any other suggestions and comments! :)