"VR" button on kit lens

SJD

Hi,

I'm new to photography. Can someone please tell me the real use of "VR" option on the 18-55mm lens ? and what are the best situations that i will have to use it ?

just turn it on and leave it on ...both my cameras have vr lens and they have the VR taped in the ON positiion and have for the last 30,000 shots

Mike150

I agree, turn it on and leave it on when hand held. I'm old and rather unsteady, so I keep mine on.
As with all VR lenses though, turn it off when using a tripod.

Jon

Mine is always on all the time. I've read that it should be turned off when placed on a tripod. I don't really see any difference when the VR is on or off using it on a tripod. Is there something wrong with my eyes?

Whats a tripod? Oh yes on of those heavy things you keep leaving behind in church yards ..I remember ...no no forget it unless you are photographing the moon or fireworks !!!

Jon

I mean I understand the benefit of turning it on when hand held. But why turn it off when using a tripod? Will it become unsteady because there's little vibration to reduce? :)

Horoscope Fish

As is typical with most things technological, the answer is a little more complicated than we'd like it to be. And personally, I'm always leery of overly simplistic answers that don't address the, "why" end of the spectrum. Here's an in-depth explanation of what VR is, how it actually works and when to use/not use it:

All About VR

Last edited: