Borrowed 18-70 Nikor 3.5-4.5 G DX

Patrick M

My own 18-135 is in for repair (again) and as I'm off to Venice in a couple of days, the shop lent me one of these for the week.
It's not a new lens, but the 50 or so shots over the past two days I've been quite impressed with this old boy.
It's heavier than I'm used to, but that's no issue.
Reports discuss vignette and distortion, but for my needs, that's not going to be a problem.

It's nice and sharp for close-ups
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366220378.541454.jpg

and I'm happy with more general shots too

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366220581.083020.jpg

I haven't been into town yet, so I don't know what buildings nor landscapes will be like, but I'm hopeful as I've read quite a lot of generally +ve reviews.
We'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SkvLTD

Shooting at that odd angle against the light/hood on/wide open indeed causes vignetting in the upper right and lower right, at least in mine. Else a pretty cool lens IMO and you can get these cheaper than current dinky kit 18-55s. And manual focus override, gotta love that. And the metal mount. Mmm.

Patrick M

well I took 4 lenses with me...35mm prime, a micro, 55-200 zoom and this one. wow. over 600 photos and ALL on this one lens. Talk about versatile. I was really able to control colour and saturation etc with the d7100 controls, but this lens was crystal clear and i found it great. the three principal types of shot that I took were landscapes - especially off the deck of the cruise ship, buildings, and in Venice! and a few, but not many interiors were high ISO gave me really great shots in places like cathedrals where flashes were forbidden.
When I got home, my own lens had been repaired, so I went and got it and bought off the dealer this borrowed lens :)

crashton

Patrick, I think the 18-70 is a great lens too. Wish I'd have kept mine. Reading your post has me thinking of buying another. They are a bargin.