Pretzel's learning curve...

Pretzel

Backdoor Hippie style... It may not be 365, but I'll do my best. I'm a rookie just learning his new cam, so some things may be mundane, but what the heck?

1st, some yard adventures... A tiny yellow lady no bigger than my fingernail, so an attempt at a macro with some bokeh. D3100 with just the kit lens (probably should have used the tripod, but oh well).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366212735.555396.jpg

Pretzel

Another attempt at a close up on a flower, this one from a shaded area in the back yard, and a little faster shutter speed. (Followed by a random pic of a pooch who wanted to distract me from my editing) You can actually see more detail on this bloom, and the head of an ant making a successful photobomb. Same set up, D3100, kit lens, no tripod. Going to try to re-create these with a tripod next week.

FL4.jpg

Lucy.jpg

Pretzel

Nice shots. I tried to id the flower but no luck. Where are you located?

Thanks! I can still tell I'm a rookie comparing myself to others on this forum, but I do try!

As to where I'm from... Not South Florida! I wish! HA! (Although I visit Dad down there every couple of years)

I'm way up here in NE Oklahoma.

Pretzel

OK, a couple more bloom shots using the tripod AND a faster shutter speed. Also switched to the higher quality .jpg (fine) for my shots.

Well, the 1st one isn't a close-up, I just loved the pic... the 2nd one is a close-up. Couple more tomorrow.

Pretzel

Switching up from flowers a bit... how about my boy getting real close and personal with the squirrels, and my first attempt at capturing "running" water?

With a few sunflower seeds, it wasn't hard at all to get a nice close up shot or two...

...and here's one of my first attempts at "running" water.

Tomorrow? "Seeking the Great Spirit".

Pretzel

Here's a couple of different edits of the same photo. The 1st is just B&W, the second with a little off-focal blur. Can't decide which I like best.

Then a third in full color up close.

GS3.jpg

GS4.jpg

GS1.jpg

Pretzel

No chance to get back to the "Great Spirit" yet, but decided to test my camera's night shooting capabilities by butchering a few shots with my novice-ness. I've always wanted to be able to get great moon shots, but this seems like it might be one of my biggest challenges? Daily reminded of just how much I have to learn...

This one seems to have the most detail, but I'm guessing because it had more in it than just the moon and clouds...

Pretzel

It's been a while, sorry. Been busy digging up a flower bed in the front so we can replace weed central with controlled beauty. Dozens of wagons full of dirt gone, bushels of weeds gone, ground leveled and hand tamped, a few pavers put in for spacing... and my back hurts!

Here's an iPhone pic to explain the time lapse, then I'll throw up another dissatisfying attempt at bokeh as I still learn...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367291006.986671.jpg

Pretzel

...and another failed attempt at a crystal clear subject with nice bokeh. GOT the bokeh but there's a lot of noise in the pic. Think it was 1) not great lighting, and 2) being a bit too close so I didn't meet the kit lens minimum focal distance.

Ordering the VR 55-200 lens soon so I can zoom in from farther back and hopefully fix my urge to smell the flowers as I shoot them!

FL8.jpg

Pretzel

BEAUTIFUL clear day in the mid 80's, with a bit of a breeze... thought a flag shot would be nice! I needed a little bit faster shutter speed, but got a shot a rookie can be proud of anyway?

Pretzel

Headed out on lunch to catch some great tailed grackle, found a crane, some ducks and some turtles instead. Was trying shots in full manual mode, so hoping to have some decent pics for y'all tonight!

Also, signed up for a basic DSLR class at one of the local studios, so maybe I won't hurt your eyes so much in the future. ;)

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Good luck with the class. How long is it? I've done a 6 hour (over 3 days) class (bird in flight) and a half day workshop. I think they're worth it.

Pretzel

Good luck with the class. How long is it? I've done a 6 hour (over 3 days) class (bird in flight) and a half day workshop. I think they're worth it.

Thanks! It's an 8 hour class over 4 weeks (1 day a week) to teach and practice all the different settings and "adjustables". I'm excited to start developing what has turned into a new love!

Pretzel

Today's venture to LaFortune Park on my lunch hour...

I actually went in search of the numerous Great-tailed Grackle (or Mexican Grackle) that typically haunt this spot, but wouldn't you know it, there wasn't a single one within photo range. I could hear them, but never spotted more than a blue-black flash. Instead, I found the critters shown below. 111 shots, and only a few worth keeping. UGH! I butchered a lot messing with the fully manual mode of shooting, so I'll be glad for my classes that start this Monday!

A bit over-exposed, eh? This odd couple stayed within 1 foot of each other as they covered the entirety of the large golf-course pond.

Obligatory shot of the fountain. 50 Shades of Gray? BAH! I'll take shades of GREEN any day!

Then, creeping down into a concrete storm drainage area in search of potentially sunning turtles, which disappeared with a splash as soon as I looked their way, I found this pleasant surprise...

He let me get fairly close, although he hobbled up the concrete on the other side when I pushed it. It gave me the chance to catch him against a completely bland background so I could highlight the full colored beauty (right before he hoarked up a small fish just seconds after this shot).

Messing with settings, I ended up getting back on the "basic" size of jpeg instead of "fine" jpeg, so might have lost a little bit of detail there, but it's hard to tell if it was that or my attempts to go full manual. Mostly, this day was a fun learning experience, and SO MANY MORE REASONS for me to crave that 55-200mm zoom that's on my short list!

Last edited: