Suggestions for a 2.8 tele?

SAbbott

I've been shooting sports for my college newspaper which has been great but I really need a 70(80)-200 2.8 lens to be able to cover indoor and night games. I'm working to put myself through college and I can't afford to drop $2500 on a lens. Should I go 3rd party? (Tamron or Sigma?) Is there a way to get cheaper used glass reliably? Do you know someone selling this lens?

Rick M

I debated between the new tamron 70-200 2.8 VC and the Nikon 70-200 f4 and ended up with the Nikon. If you must have 2.8, the new Tamron is excellent, but may slow focus in your application.

LouCioccio

It really depends. Read the forums and reviews. I do own a Sigma zoom 18-50/2.8 that does macro (4-3rds body my other camera) I did not buy the copy the manufacture had as it was not a full 2.8 at the high end and I knew I would be at the high end over 50% of the time plus it did not do macro for hand and bouquet shots. Its sharp and I am pleased. On the other hand I too debated on the manufacture zoom and went with them but I still not sure if the Sigma would have been just as good. Buyers remorse...I don't know. So I would read the reviews and try to find images people that have taken with the combination body and lens.

Ciao,
​Lou Cioccio

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've been shooting sports for my college newspaper which has been great but I really need a 70(80)-200 2.8 lens to be able to cover indoor and night games. I'm working to put myself through college and I can't afford to drop $2500 on a lens. Should I go 3rd party? (Tamron or Sigma?) Is there a way to get cheaper used glass reliably? Do you know someone selling this lens?

Buy a used version or get the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI since you are using DX.

Krs_2007

Buy a used version or get the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI since you are using DX.
\

Glenn,
Can you elaborate on that a little. I have been looking at VR1 and 11, but future plans of moving to FX. Why is VRI ok, is it not ok for FX ? I have seen this mentioned before but I dont recall being explained and I never asked.

Thanks,
​Kevin

pedroj

\

Glenn,
Can you elaborate on that a little. I have been looking at VR1 and 11, but future plans of moving to FX. Why is VRI ok, is it not ok for FX ? I have seen this mentioned before but I dont recall being explained and I never asked.

Thanks,
​Kevin

Vr1` doesn't vignette on DX...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
\

Glenn,

Thanks,
​Kevin

Kevin - aside from vignette that Pedroj described, the VRI is not as sharp from corner to corner when using it with a FX camera. I had to go f4 just get a little more sharpness with my D700 before. When I sold my VRI and bought the VRII, I became much happier.

If you won't be shooting at night, consider the Nikon 70-200mm f4 VRIII. That's what I would do if I didn't have the VRII yet.

Krs_2007

The main reason I have been thinking about this lens is because I shoot wrestling matches and outdoor sports under stadium lights. The 70-300 VR I have does really good during the day but not so good during low light, its the FX version and even thought about going FX to try to achieve better low light pictures. So looking for something that will fill the gap. The additional stop of the f4 would be nice, just not sure it would fill the gap.

I can fix most of the issues with post processing, but I don't think the IQ wold be as good as it would be going with better glass.

Just can't figure out which way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Krs_2007

I have been thinking about a lens like that as well. I can't use flash, so that makes it hard to get enough light. I think a lot of shots indoors hover around the 100mm mark, s a 180 would work. Thanks for the suggestions

I have even looked at 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D, just really need something that is fast low light capable and is FX. I plan to move to FX fairly soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
But it's not AF-S so it's not the fastest focusing lens.

The OP's main concern is that his current lenses are not suitable for low light or indoor use. Have a f2.8 vs f5.6 is a huge difference. For wrestling games, it doesn't require much changing since they don't move as much unlike basketball.

You can sell your 70-300mm VRI and use those funds to either the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 (two ring) or used Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI. The 80-200mm f2.8 can probably go around <$900 and the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI around $1,300.

jwstl

I didn't see the camera model mentioned by the OP or see it in his profile so I don't know for certain, but, depending on which model he's using, the lack of AF-S could be a big issue since it can't autofocus on certain bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD