Just bought my first DSLR D5200.. Need some info

SJD

Hi Nikon world :)

I just bought my very first DSLR camera and its a D5200 with 18-55mm lens. (Thats what i can afford for the time being)

I have always been faschinated with Bokeh photography and i have been reading a lot about it lately. I saw this picture from the web.

I just need to ask a 'stupid' question. Will my D5200 be every able to achieve this quality ? if so with what lens ?

http://www.carmanandpugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/linnea-005.jpg

The amount of details i see in the little one is incredible. Will I be able to get there with my new goodie ?

Sanjaya

First off Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Bokeh is just a mater of the correct setting on your camera and being the correct distance from the subject.

You have a great camera. Shoot lots and google Bokeh and figure out what it take to get that with what you already have. Don't buy anything else till you learn what you have.

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Moab Man

Yes it can. Read your manual. Study "depth of field."

How that is achieved is a low number aperture and you being considerably closer to the subject than the subject is to the background.

welcome.

SJD

Thanks both... I just updated the profile with more details.

Moab Man - Sure, I will check out the "depth of field"

I'm pretty sure that i can achieve much better results with another lens other than 18-55mm VR kit. Any suggestions ? I may not be able to buy right away but will surely help keep my eyes on one.

Moab Man

Assuming you want to shot similar to your example and cost does matter then I suggest Nikon 50mm 1.8G which runs ~$200-$220.

I'm pretty sure that i can achieve much better results with another lens other than 18-55mm VR kit. Any suggestions ? I may not be able to buy right away but will surely help keep my eyes on one.

You will get 20 different answers to that question here. Everyone has their own favorite. Like I always tell every new shooter. Practice with what you have till you squeeze every ounce of goodness out of it and only then buy the next item. At that time you will not have to ask anyone what it best. You will know. This will prevent you from buying something only to find out it really is not what you want. Start saving your money now because you are going to need it. The lens you are looking for is going to run you $500+ easily.

Mfrankfort

Your camera can. Can you?? lol. My best results for shallow depth of field, widest aperture (lowest F number) available, and if using a zoom, try to zoom all the way in, and make sure subject is pretty far from the background. Best of luck!!

SJD

Thanks Mfrankfort, well my question itself suggest that "I can't" :p

Thanks for all the details, I will surely read all of these that you suggested.

Eye-level

Banned
If you have a slower lens...like you do...open it as wide as you can and get as much real estate as you can between your subject and the subject's background and you'll get blur.

Buy a 105/2.5 and you can get non Ai I bet because you have a 5200 they are dirt cheap and they make fantastic bokeh but you will have to learn manual...that is one alternative and it is cheap but it is a more difficult path.

I do a lot of extreeme bokeh as I call it .....wedding cake in the forground in focus and the bride and groom in background out of focus ...then vica versa ...old fashioned but old is in ...I find a 35mm f 2.5 works best for that ...old Nikon E lens but I am often limited for space and cannot use a 50 mm

I also have much success with the 18-200 at 200mm and full open ...items 3 ft behind well out of focus....

Happypuppy

Spring is a great time for photo walks. Look online for groups like meetup.com that list groups having events. Meeting others is a great way to get better fast by developing mentors, that can guide you along and help you to master technique

mauckcg

You can get that kind of detail with your kit lens. Managed this my first time out with the kit lens.

8681296105_4e56184e45_c.jpg

Skytalker

The photo in the link was taken with a Canon 5DMarkII and a 70-200 f/2.8 lens, focal lens was 168mm.

With 18-55 it is difficult to get something similar, but not impossible, try to zoom in at 55mm and put your subject at a reasonable distance.
In order to get that type of look you need a telephoto lens and the one I would suggest is the 85 F/1.8G. With that one you can even better blow away the background. It is not very expensive.

It is true that one needs practice, but even practice cannot beat laws of physics. :D

Last edited:

donaldjledet

Hi Nikon world :)

I just bought my very first DSLR camera and its a D5200 with 18-55mm lens. (Thats what i can afford for the time being)

I have always been faschinated with Bokeh photography and i have been reading a lot about it lately. I saw this picture from the web.

I just need to ask a 'stupid' question. Will my D5200 be every able to achieve this quality ? if so with what lens ?

http://www.carmanandpugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/linnea-005.jpg

The amount of details i see in the little one is incredible. Will I be able to get there with my new goodie ?

Sanjaya

Also you can go to Nikon.com and find the Learn and Explore. There they have articles on Bokeh and a number of other stuff to Learn about.