PC Sync Cord & TTL No working

jonahmiami

Hi All,

Just purchase a bracket to remove a sb-900 from my D800's hotshoe.

Tried using a PC sync cord to trigger the flash. I have not been able to get flash to fire in TLL mode. It does fire in Aperture priority mode and manual mode; however, exposure is not correct as flash is not firing a pre-flash to read scene.

Is it possible to use the flash in TTL mode with a PC Sync cord. And if so is there some setting that I may be missing to get it to fire.

Many thanks for any input!!!

Jonah

Disorderly

Short answer: no. Longer answer: look at your hotshoe. There are extra connectors on both it and your flash that are required to make TTL work. The PC cable doesn't have these, so the camera can't control the flash except to trigger it.

You will need a hotshoe extension cable to get TTL to work off-camera. That Nikon-specific cable will have all the same connectors as your camera and flash.

Geoffc

I got fed up with sync cords and got the pocket wizard flex / mini system. Now I can ttl over wireless which is cool. That said its rather an expensive option (£300) if you don't use it much.

WayneF

Is it possible to use the flash in TTL mode with a PC Sync cord. And if so is there some setting that I may be missing to get it to fire.

Yes, PC cords are manual mode flash only. TTL will need the hot shoe extension cord, like the SC-28.

Or... you can use the D800 Commander and flash Remote mode, and TTL will fire well on the flash bracket. Sort of a mystery why (without direct line of sight), but it will work there. It does add a bit of a delay, and also the commander flashing which will make your subjects blink, but FV Lock bypasses this. Set the builtin D800 flash mode off (mode to "- -" in the commander menu), so that it does not contribute to the lighting.

Last edited: