Best micro four thirds cameras out there?

eurotrash

I am not sure if discussing non-nikon cameras are an acceptable point of talking on the site.. But I'm interested very much in the micro four thirds format for taking with me on backpacking expeditions and around town when I don't feel like hauling a freakin' d600 around with me and some huge lenses..

I like manual/aperture control, a variety of lenses and compatibility, quick operation so I don't miss shots of falcons or critters. Or fast moving people. I guess those are my basic requirements..

So if in fact it's frowned upon to discuss non-nikon cameras (because I know there are honestly better options that that silly JP1 or whatever it is that I tried out and hated) then so be it, I understand since this is our Nikon forum. But transparency for photogs IS a great thing :)

AC016

Question is, how much are you willing to spend? Other than that, look at Olympus, Sony and Panasonic. They would be the top three brands. Nikon is a joke in this category.

eurotrash

I mean, I don't know how much they really are. $500? $2k? I'm willing to go as high as a mid-range dslr costs because in my honest opinion, it will be used AS my dslr when I'm carrying it. As long as the IQ and the functionality are there, I'm all good with spending some coin.

I just dont know anything about the mirrorless game at this point so I'm asking for advice on models that more or less fit my description of a perfect purchase.

Eye-level

Banned
Micro four thirds is a waste of time...they are putting APS-C sensors in the small bodies nowadays.

Fuji and Sony are blowing everyone out of the water and I think in the next year or two we will be seeing full frame mirrorless systems albeit expensive.

You can get an used X Pro 1 for around a grand now and it is like shooting a DX DSLR but in a much smaller body.

eurotrash

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. If you know anything about lightweight backpacking, you'll agree that carrying a dslr is just a pain in the ass.
Just a nice interchangable lens system that weighs nothing and is easily transportable is my goal. I'd probably bring a wide zoom along with me for landscapes and that's it. Obviously would invest in a few other lenses too, but not for awhile. This would be a walk around camera intended to lighten the load and still be able to take quality pics.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, I retract my earlier statement. That said, I don't want a POS either.. :) The Fuji X-pro 1 is my dream as of the research I've done so far, but it's just too expensive to justify. I might as well invest in some pro glass at that point. So hopefully, they'll be coming down in price soon?

Eye-level

Banned
The 35mm camera was invented by an asthmatic hiker/backpacker!

There is a rumor the X Pro 2 is around the corner real soon...don't know if the prices will drop though..

The X Pro E I think it is is cheaper I believe...or maybe X100E...???

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I mean, I don't know how much they really are. $500? $2k? I'm willing to go as high as a mid-range dslr costs because in my honest opinion, it will be used AS my dslr when I'm carrying it. As long as the IQ and the functionality are there, I'm all good with spending some coin.

I just dont know anything about the mirrorless game at this point so I'm asking for advice on models that more or less fit my description of a perfect purchase.

I love the Fuji colours but they are limited on lens selection.

Sony NEX 7 is very good if you match it with the Zeiss prime lenses.

Oly OMD is probably the most popular amongst M43 users.

For light weight, travel kit with great optics and good control functions, the Panasonic GH3 with 12-35mm f2.8 and if you can squeeze a little more, the 35-100mm f2.8. This has the equivalent of the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 but comes in a very compact set-up.

So that is the "Best" micro four thirds set-up out there that is currently available in my opinion.

Last edited:

eurotrash

thanks for the suggestion, but the GH3 seems as big as a DSLR in the first place. Is that true or is it just a perception thing looking at the pictures? Weight and size are large concerns, obviously..

stmv

Yes, interesting subject, When Nikon makes a J1 replacement with a DX sensor, that can use my lens when wanted, I will be happy.

In the meantime, I carry a Nikon 5100 with small primes. light enough, small enough, and still high quality.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
thanks for the suggestion, but the GH3 seems as big as a DSLR in the first place. Is that true or is it just a perception thing looking at the pictures? Weight and size are large concerns, obviously..

One of the reasons why I suggested the GH3 is that its functions such as the command and sub command dials are similar to Nikon. The touch screen display is just way too awesome. The size is similar to the D40 but again, controls are some of the things that I do not like to compromise. When it comes to video, it spanks the competition. I would suggest trying it out on one of your camera retailers if there is one near your area.

eurotrash

I...never said I wanted to shoot videos. Again, this is a backpacking camera, and as such I only expect stills out of it. The use of existing lenses in my bag would be amazing for versatility of course
You may not want to compromise on certain things, we are all different. I have a few slrs at home to cover my bases fully...but in situations such as this there has to be that level of compensation that must occur in order to meet the demands of a lightweight and very mobile setup.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I...never said I wanted to shoot videos. Again, this is a backpacking camera, and as such I only expect stills out of it. The use of existing lenses in my bag would be amazing for versatility of course
You may not want to compromise on certain things, we are all different. I have a few slrs at home to cover my bases fully...but in situations such as this there has to be that level of compensation that must occur in order to meet the demands of a lightweight and very mobile setup.

You don't need to use the video but this is pretty much standard nowadays whether you shoot video or not. Similar to the cell phones.

Given that you now know on what is available, which system are you leaning towards?

crashton

I'd suggest buying a Nikon V1 or V2. Fast, fast fast camera. That is one thing that is lacking in all M4/3 cameras, Nikon has that covered. With the FT1 adapter you can use your other lenses on it. For backpacking it would would be sweet.

Eye-level

Banned
Not happening anytime soon. Not with Nikon if you want compact with DX sensor.

No there is now a fixed lens unit with APC-S sensor...the Coolpix A...perfect for backpackers...but expensive...Nikon has entered the market...next year or two ought to be interesting...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I previously had an Olympus E-PL1. Very nice images, controls were so-so. I now have the Nikon V1 which I'm generally pleased with. Micro 4/3'rds has great lens choices. If I was buying today, I'd either get the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or the Panasonic DMC-GF6.

Last edited: