Passwords to make our cameras function!?

§am

I don't see how this could be implemented.

Certainly not with serial numbers of lens and body - put stolen lens on different body, re-pair the two devices and away you go!!
What about when you sell the lens and your buyer straps it to their camera and nothing happens, or they pair it to their camera body??

The way it could work, is by 3rd party authentication, where once you request a PIN from the registered owner for both lens and body, and the two PINs would then allow the camera to function - although then, the camera needs to have radio communication as well!!!

AC016

I don't see how this could be implemented.

Certainly not with serial numbers of lens and body - put stolen lens on different body, re-pair the two devices and away you go!!
What about when you sell the lens and your buyer straps it to their camera and nothing happens, or they pair it to their camera body??

The way it could work, is by 3rd party authentication, where once you request a PIN from the registered owner for both lens and body, and the two PINs would then allow the camera to function - although then, the camera needs to have radio communication as well!!!

However it is actually going to work, i don't see the point. If your gear gets stolen, i doubt it will be returned to you with a note stating, "Oh, I did not know you had this fancy Nikon passcode security on your camera. Please accept my apologies for stealing your gear. Here it is back." lol. If this is implemented, there will be a hack for it in no time.

Horoscope Fish

I can see it now...

You have exceeded the maximum number of password attempts!

_DSC_5874 *deleted*
_DSC_5875 *deleted*
_DSC_5876 *deleted*
_DSC_58...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Last edited:

ABN Panzer

I cant read the article from my current system.
Only thing it really looks to try and serve as is a deterrent.
Look at cars and their stereos that come with the typical "This radio will not function once removed from this car" sticker. Would you get your stereo back once the crook cant get it working? No. But maybe the thief wouldn't have tried it if he realized this in the 1st place. That is all I can see this working as.

Do I want my camera to have this function? No. It is simply one more thing I have to remember and use some BS analog toggle to select the proper number/letter sequence.

- One more thing I would have to remember and possibly screw up.
Wont even get into how few hours it would take some 12yr old to create a hack that makes this useless anyway.

Again, couldn't read the article but hope the function would be allowed to be turned off/on.

Last edited:

AC016

I cant read the article from my current system.
Only thing it really looks to try and serve as is a deterrent.
Look at cars and their stereos that come with the typical "This radio will not function once removed from this car" sticker. Would you get your stereo back once the crook cant get it working? No. But maybe the thief wouldn't have tried it if he realized this in the 1st place. That is all I can see this working as.

Do I want my camera to have this function? No. It is simply one more thing I have to remember and use some BS analog toggle to select the proper number/letter sequence.

- One more thing I would have to remember and possibly screw up.
Wont even get into how few hours it would take some 12yr old to create a hack that makes this useless anyway.

Again, couldn't read the article but hope the function would be allowed to be turned off/on.

The article itself does not really go into much detail. This is only a patent that they filed, so it does not mean they will actually deploy it on their cameras. if they did, i can't see them making it mandatory to use, that would be just foolish.

carguy

I can see it on high end equipment to be a deterrent against theft. Nothing is fool proof, but maybe this could work?

What about a password protected lens that is sold by the legitimate owner to a new owner? Wonder how that would work?

Rexer John

This kind of thing doesn't stop thieves, there's always a way to get around it.
​It does cause a great headache for the legitimate user though.

carguy

Any deterrent does just that, not valid to say they won't stop thieves entirely.
Having installed car alarms in the past, I still don't use them myself as I've seen them cause more headaches than their worth for me. It does give some people peace of mind and that's what they are for.

Yes, there is always a way around things, but we still lock our doors at night and on our vehicles (well most of us anyway) :D

Rexer John

True, thieves go for the easiest target.
Problem is, when it gets too hard for thieves, they get harder.
Take car immobilisers as an example, top end cars are so secure that it's easier for them to attack the driver and drive off with the keys than steal it off the driveway.

stmv

yuck,,, I would hate password protection, but,,, maybe when you try to download the image,, it would ask for the password,, as long as it does not impact the picture taking.

STM

More idiocracy at work. So, a thief steals your camera and then finds out he can't use it or sell it because it is password protected. So it winds up in a dumpster somewhere. The thief is out some money for drugs and you are still without your camera. If people would just follow the very simple guidelines of "say it up here" (in your head) before say it down here (your mouth) there would be an awful lot less stupidity in this world.

Bill4282

Why not incorporate a LoJack system into the body, motion sensitive strap with alarm so snatchers won't take it, self-destruct mechanism if used without wearing a secret decoder ring. Whole new cottage industry.