Triggers & Receivers - Cybersync vs PocketWizard

carguy

It appears PocketWizard is the industry standard when it comes to off camera flash trigger systems.

For those of us using cheaper alternatives while we get our feet wet, What are your thoughts on Paul C Buff CyberSync triggers vs PocketWizard?

They both appear to be made in the USA which is a plus.

Cost seems to be a big factor with a set of Cybersyncs coming in around $130 - $150 for one transmitter and one receiver. Pocketwizard has the new PlusX coming in at $198 for a pair and the PlusIII going for about $300 for the set.

It seems the Sekonic light meters can fire off PocketWizard systems, not sure about CyberSync.

Looking for real input from the more experienced members. Thanks!

Fred Kingston

It seems the Sekonic light meters can fire off PocketWizard systems, not sure about CyberSync.[/QUOTE]

I have a Sekonic... and cheapo triggers... I'm not sure how important being able to fire the lights from the meter is...

carguy

It seems it would be convenient to fire the lights from the meter if your camera is on a tripod. Hand holding, obviously not.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Fred Kingston

The Sekonic (I have the L-358) has a mode where you simply press the button on the meter, and it waits for the flash... walk (take 2-3 steps) over to the camera, fire the lights... and badda bing, the meter sitting in the scene registers the light...

carguy

The Sekonic (I have the L-358) has a mode where you simply press the button on the meter, and it waits for the flash... walk (take 2-3 steps) over to the camera, fire the lights... and badda bing, the meter sitting in the scene registers the light...

Good to know. Thanks Fred.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

LouCioccio

You can also use the L358 to do ambient plus flash out doors. It will give a percentage of flash.
If you have a table next to a window that has some good sunlight (in Erie its bright and sunny) put the L358 in flash mode like the previous from fred. Set your flash in manual mode with the trigger. Now look at the L358 and you will see a small % adjust the power or distance till you hit 30 to 40% if higher the background will get darker. See this one. What I forgot to add set the mode to the first flash (ambient then flash symbol) When you arm you have 90 sec to strike the flash and it will give a percentage. Adjust the wheel to get 30% minding the shutter speed. Its really neat once you get the hang of it.

​Lou Cioccio

PA042218A.jpg

Last edited:

LouCioccio

Here are two indoors ISO 1600 f/9 at 1/60 Flash at manual 1/2 power with wide angle diffuser pointed at ceiling (eggshell white) with Sekonic I got 30% flash. Now the second one taken 2 hours later sun much lower and dimmer BUT I did not change anything more for the example of shooting with ambient and flash. I used Trigmaster II on the camera and the other on the flash. So a wise and good investment is a light/flash meter just as you would pay for good glass. Look at the histogram you can see the other is underexposed but the first one is fine. This would only be good indoors with a large window in day light but I think you get the idea outside in shade or open shade. Plus by increasing the percentage of flash you can make the background go darker.

Ciao,
​Lou Cioccio
DSC_0807_2pm.jpg

DSC_0808_4pm.jpg